Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The corner of space and time

All feedback appreciated.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: The corner of space and time

I think you are starting to get the hang of this sort of thing now Liban .....
    Tack sharp and fascinating as ever, I like the way the light trails mirror the contours of the road.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I don't know it looks like the last 5 photos minus the car. I think your a good photographer but you need to expand your horizons, take that chain off and explore. Unless you can't leave the neighborhood and if that's the case I'm sorry. :thumbsup:

I bet this image contains "billions and billions" of pixels.

Fantastic work, as always. What were your settings? How did you get this so sharp and "illustrated"-looking? Once again, it has that "hdr-but-not-hdr" look. And obviously desaturated, but not too much. Wonderful stuff.

The only thing I caught myself thinking was "where should this be cropped at the top?" "Should he have left more up there?" I'm not sure it matters, though.

GB1

Liban,

Definitely a wonderful series. To me this one has incredible elements, namely, the center building. What I find a bit too distracting however is the bright window in the far left building, and to a much lessor extent, the light trails, which are fascinating unto themselves, but perhaps slightly out of place here. I would consider cropping out that left building just to the right of the window, or if you're more adventurous, edit it to be less dominating.

In most criticisms there's an element of truth, so I had to laugh at Bobintx's comment that you may be brain-locked on this series I think it's understandable if you are, as it's great material, but I would work on a new one too -- there has to be some awesome opportunities up there in Toronto too. Let it rip!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    I think you are starting to get the hang of this sort of thing now Liban .....
    Tack sharp and fascinating as ever, I like the way the light trails mirror the contours of the road.

Thanks Pete,

I had a few things that I had in mind when posting this for critique. Things I wasn't sure of and I learned to shut my mouth about them and just see what others see. Glad you didn't mind any of them. The non-straight light trails were actually one. To me it kind of looked like some one did a bad job at cloning something out. I'm glad you noticed the pavement. Thank again

Quote Originally Posted by Bobintx View Post
    I don't know it looks like the last 5 photos minus the car. I think your a good photographer but you need to expand your horizons, take that chain off and explore. Unless you can't leave the neighborhood and if that's the case I'm sorry. :thumbsup:

Bob. Haha… Honestly your comment made me laugh out loud. Probably the funniest/best critique I've gotten. I see exactly what you're saying and I feel the same way sometimes :-) Though, to assure you I'm not trapped in that neighbourhood. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    I bet this image contains "billions and billions" of pixels.

Fantastic work, as always. What were your settings? How did you get this so sharp and "illustrated"-looking? Once again, it has that "hdr-but-not-hdr" look. And obviously desaturated, but not too much. Wonderful stuff.

The only thing I caught myself thinking was "where should this be cropped at the top?" "Should he have left more up there?" I'm not sure it matters, though.

Seth,

The new thing I'm doing now is trying to get better in post processing. I've found that layering the image works amazing. For instance generating a light HDR'ish black and white image. Keep that on one layer. Generate a nice colour image. Keep that on another layer. Generate a very nice Silverefex black and white. Keep that on another layer and play around with the layer blend. Keeping the B&W layers at the bottom and maybe even working them together separate then merging them. That way you'll have a super awesome black and white. Now all you have to do is layer the colour on top. By physically putting the colour layer on top of them and changing the blend mode to say colour.

If you want the B&W on top affecting the tones of your colour image, then you just place that layer on top of the colour image and change blending mode to Luminosity. Play around with that and see how that goes! Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Liban,

Definitely a wonderful series. To me this one has incredible elements, namely, the center building. What I find a bit too distracting however is the bright window in the far left building, and to a much lessor extent, the light trails, which are fascinating unto themselves, but perhaps slightly out of place here. I would consider cropping out that left building just to the right of the window, or if you're more adventurous, edit it to be less dominating.

In most criticisms there's an element of truth, so I had to laugh at Bobintx's comment that you may be brain-locked on this series I think it's understandable if you are, as it's great material, but I would work on a new one too -- there has to be some awesome opportunities up there in Toronto too. Let it rip!

G

GB, the bright window on the left was another reason I put this image up for critique for I didn't control that light properly and blew out that area. Thanks for the suggestion. I think a crop from the left might work. and maybe some from the bottom and top to keep the aspect ratio.

Man, you don't understand, Bob's comment made me laugh out loud because It struck a central cord in my thinking also. I always feel like I'm doing the same thing.

I do have a few other looks/syles/shoots that I will put up. I promise.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post

Man, you don't understand, Bob's comment made me laugh out loud because It struck a central cord in my thinking also. I always feel like I'm doing the same thing.

I do have a few other looks/syles/shoots that I will put up. I promise.
    Liban - I've been shooting landscape, cityscape and nature type shots for so long now ... it's a big part of why I shoot fashion/glamor/whatever models on occasion. It not only helps your portfolio, but it's good for your creativity to mix things up a bit. You might also find you like the new areas of photography more than you think you would ( ... and with models, how could you not? )

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I am sorry Leels, I didn't mean to sound like such a butt. I know it helped me when someone was harsh on my photographs. I think sometimes we all get a little complacent from time to time.
    Hopefully I didn't offend too much.

hmm

I can't see the photo , it does not load

could not connect to img109.imageshack.us

Edit: Now I see it!
    Impressive detail
    Wonderful processing , one day I have to try that type of processing if can get over my mental blockage over using layers

Improvements? you got be kidding ...
    there is a touch of noise in the clouds ?

Really great stuff!
    Last edited by armando_m; 11-28-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    Liban - I've been shooting landscape, cityscape and nature type shots for so long now ... it's a big part of why I shoot fashion/glamor/whatever models on occasion. It not only helps your portfolio, but it's good for your creativity to mix things up a bit. You might also find you like the new areas of photography more than you think you would ( ... and with models, how could you not? )

G
    Yeah man, definitely. I tried.. I tried, but I always get back to shooting this type of image. Something about teaching old dogs new tricks. lol. I actually also prefer your landscapes to you model work. Something about landscape just intrigues me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobintx View Post
    I am sorry Leels, I didn't mean to sound like such a butt. I know it helped me when someone was harsh on my photographs. I think sometimes we all get a little complacent from time to time.
    Hopefully I didn't offend too much.
    No worries Bob. I loved your comment. I promise my next photo I share will be different than these ones. Just for you! :-) (actually for me too)

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    hmm

I can't see the photo , it does not load

could not connect to img109.imageshack.us

Edit: Now I see it!
    Impressive detail
    Wonderful processing , one day I have to try that type of processing if can get over my mental blockage over using layers

Improvements? you got be kidding ...
    there is a touch of noise in the clouds ?

Really great stuff!
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. Yes, I think there is some noise in the skies that can probably be fixed.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

I personally enjoy the series and you have done a fine job keeping them all different and fresh yet staying true to the theme with technique and process. Kudos Liban.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information