Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Colour/Light/Form

2 images with a similar theme taken last week. What interested me was primarily the light but also the forms involved. Got a couple of doubts about these but let me know what YOU think.

THANKYOU!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Image2

Not sure about the frame. Liking the light though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colour/Light/Form-oxonhoathdetailsml.jpg  

the first one has a more definitive subject. i like the color in the second ivy shot better, but i'm distracted- what's the subject? i keep jumping from the window to the ivy to the brick and back. maybe some kind of crop would help isolate a subject, but i don't really have any idea as to how to do it...
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

Cliffy,

I really like the first one, calming tones and forms near the top build towards some chaos near the bottom, grain definitely adds to the atmosphere.

The second one is nothing special to my eyes, the ivy divides the image too much to me, and there isn't much form, even if the colors are nice.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Second one does it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford_Sax
    Not sure about the frame. Liking the light though!
    Cliff,

These shots are very different, yet both well done. Personally, I like the second one more than the first.

As you say, color/light/form. The first certainly has these, as well as a nice depth from strong horizontal elements receding into the frame (railing, back stairs). The vertical elements also segment the frame nicely, with the two slight curves (railing and top of hallway) adding just a touch of tension.

Still, I find shots like your second one much more interesting to look at. You've got a great juxtaposition going here: the classic "man made vs.nature" theme. Not only that, but you shot it in what I feel is almost always the best way; you've kept all your lines square.

The result is a very strong geometric grid, a consistent bg pattern created by the three sections of brick and the window. Layered beautifully over that is the meandering organic form of the vine, starting in a tight cluster at the top reaching down in vein-like forms to the cluster of leaves at the bottom.

The balance of the shot is much more complicated than what a quick glance would indicate. At first, it almost appears symmetrical, because the vines are centered and the rectangular shapes are fairly even on each side, not to mention the top to bottom cluster/vine/cluster element I just mentioned.

A closer inspection reveals, however, a more delicate asymmetrical balance, the two sides not being exactly the same, and the small ceramic cylinder(?) in the lower left corner throwing things off just a bit.

I also like the playfullness of the light. It appears to hit the large brick section fairly straight on, yet seems to "dance around" some of the other areas of the frame (notice the shadow variations all around the vine). The brick on the right side of the shot is entirely in shadow, yet still shows detail. It is also farther back in the frame, meaning you managed to show depth in what at first appears to be a very flat scene.

Cropping through major elements of a pic (in this case the window) is risky, yet when it works, like I think it does here, it creates a more thought provoking abstract image out of what otherwise might be a very ordinary scene. This is known as "window" cropping, as in looking at a large scene through a small window, and only seeing a small portion of that overall scene.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Wow Steve. What a comprehensive and wonderfully helpful critique. I remember reading someone commenting on your critiques as being the final word as they are spot on - well i`m bound to agree as you`ve been decidedly complimentary ;-). A deconstruction such as yours is a rare event on here and i`m extremely grateful. Interesting how the eye has it`s own aesthetic which when deconstructed makes total sense. You`ve provided me with some real insight - Thanks again.

Hi Bingo Pajama, thanks for the post. You make an interesting point about image number 2 but there isn`t really a subject as such because it was the light and the forms that interested me. I guess your eye is echoing the light in a sense (playing over the scene in a kind of transitory way)which I`m going to assume is the way it should be with such an image. As for cropping I`m not sure I could lose any of the elements as to my eye they seem to go together. I agree about the lack of subject but I think that the image (as is) remains balanced. Thanks for your input.

Hi Seb. Thanks for the post. People seem to be divided by their own aesthetics so whilst i`m still on the fence about these (can`t identify a firm favourite) your post and the others have helped me identify positive elements in both images and the feeling is that i`m liking both images whereas when I posted them I was ambivalent. Thanks for your help - and I like the new pic - that is you isn`t it? (don`t listen to your mum!).

Thread Information