Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Color or b/w??

Color or b/w??

I took 3-month pics of my daughter #2 yesterday, and really like how this one came out. Of course, any suggestions on how to make it better are always welcome! My main question here though is if you think it's better in color or b/w, and why. I'm leaning more towards the color one even though I normally love b/w images of children... what do you think? They're taken with black fabric in the background, and I did some light PSwork (mainly curves and USM, and added the border & logo of course!). I wish I had enough light to take these in natural light, but it was a no-go...
    Thanks in advance!!
    Eva
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color or b/w??-alex3mo1logos.jpg   Color or b/w??-alex3mo1blurbws.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by evatgirl73
    I took 3-month pics of my daughter #2 yesterday, and really like how this one came out. Of course, any suggestions on how to make it better are always welcome! My main question here though is if you think it's better in color or b/w, and why. I'm leaning more towards the color one even though I normally love b/w images of children... what do you think? They're taken with black fabric in the background, and I did some light PSwork (mainly curves and USM, and added the border & logo of course!). I wish I had enough light to take these in natural light, but it was a no-go...
    Thanks in advance!!
    Eva
    The color one seems less flat to me. Nice work on getting a good expression

I usually prefer b/w also, but I do like the colored one better. I think because the colors in your photo are not too bright and overpowering for the background; they are subtle.

Very cute baby!

Thank you both for taking the time to comment!
    Chunk, I agree, the color one seems to "jump out" more... need to work with the levels on the b/w, maybe that'll help 'cause looking at it now it does seem flat!
    Sandi, thanks! Good point, didn't really think about it too much but I think you're right on about the colors. I was just going for a "focus on the baby, not the cute outfit" kinda shot, LOL!

Thread Information