Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Color?

Color?

I took this picture a couple weeks ago and I am curious to what you guys think, would this be better as Black and White? or is it good to keep it in color?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color?-_dsc4206.jpg  
    "Go Fast, Turn Left, Repeat"

GB1

Re: Color?

Sometimes it's helpful to post the b&w one at the same time, SR. My guess is that it would definitely be better in color. The blue is soothing and the overall lines and shapes of the image may not be strong enough to go without color. I say that because of the way the bridge intersects the car and also because of the various little objects (parking blocks, fences, bridge trusses, etc).

Too bad you couldn't have gotten higher or at least lower for this shot to separate it from the bridge. Idea for next time.
    G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Here is the Black and white.
    I wanted to move the car over but then I would have had a different car in the shot also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color?-_dsc4206-2.jpg  

I like the b&w better, you might also try an aged look. I would clone the light post it takes away from the timeless feel to it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

B&W
    The radio towers and aerials could also go.
    I'm a bit unsure as to your point of interest, I think both the car and the bridge are worthy of their own shots, but together they vie for your attention.
    That bridge with the center span raised and a boat transiting underneath would make a cool image. The car's not to bad either.....
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Here it is with out the towers, with an aged look, Any better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color?-_dsc4206-3.jpg  

If you used some sort of aging filter I think it should have been at less than 100%
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Depth-Of-Field

I didn't see anyone else mention it so I will - this is a perfect example of a photo where shallow dept-of-field would make a huge difference. You could keep the car nice and sharp and drop the background all out of focus. I like the composition and background just fine I think it just needs some separation and shallow depth-of-field was my first thought.

I think color works just fine. I wouldn't mess with it much, either. Looking for a color treatment solution usually means you missed the mark and you're trying to make it more interesting in post.

Is this a scene you just found or do you have access to the car? If you do I think it's totally worth a reshoot. Try a long lens wide open, a 50mm wide open and maybe a lower angle more from the side with a really wide lens. There's a lot of potential here
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I do happen to have access to this car. Thanks guys, i think i will try a reshoot, the only lens that i have is a tamron 18-270 any ideas how to use that with the shot?

I like the B&W and the aged one . Losing the towers did help.
    Shoot this car from every angle you can think of........
    I remember my Mom had a white 58 Imapla convertable..............
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

I really like the aged one - but I'd also clone out the house on top of the car - it makes me look at it, and distracts from the shot... otherwise, I think it's great !!

r

I agree with John about less dof. I do like the original color but would suggest losing the lampost and house above.
    b&w looks fine but the color offers better separation of car from bg. The aged color image just looks like too much yellow/green in the color balance and does not give me a nostalgic feeling of old.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information