Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Coffee in Switzerland

Hi
    I posted this in the B&W section and have not reveived any feedback. This is another in my series of Coffee in Europe...
    I shot this last week in Switzerland during a vacation after traveling for 2 weeks on business..I would like to get some feedback!

Nikon F100
    28-85 MM Nikon zoom
    Tmax 100 Developed in Tmax and scanned with my Epson, cropped in Photoshop

Please let me know how to improve this shot!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow. What a great shot. I don't think that the packets of sugar are necessary although it doesn't hurt the image.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by CB Photo
    Hi
    I posted this in the B&W section and have not reveived any feedback. This is another in my series of Coffee in Europe...
    I shot this last week in Switzerland during a vacation after traveling for 2 weeks on business..I would like to get some feedback!

Nikon F100
    28-85 MM Nikon zoom
    Tmax 100 Developed in Tmax and scanned with my Epson, cropped in Photoshop

Please let me know how to improve this shot!
    Hello CB,

I like your picture although I think that it could be a tad more sharp. Have you lost some sharpness in the process of scaning? I cannot tell for sure as I am inexperienced (and fairly unknowledgeable) about scanners but I suppose that it might be the case. Beside, it seems to me that the picture is slightly too grainy. I feel that grain oftenly work well with b&w. However, for some reasons, it seems to me that it's a bit too much in that specific context. Finally, I think that I would have used a wider aperture to blur more the sugar packets and put more emphasis on the cup itself.

All that being said I still like your shot a lot the way it is. You have brought a nice composition and a pleasing lighting. I think that this is the most important things in the end.

regards

Seb

too even

an even number of objects always throws me off---my eyes much prefer odd numbers...maybe removing (next shot you take) the second coffe cup with just the spoon or incorporating more of it. That is the only thng that really keeps me from being able to fully enjoy this shot... I REALLY like the grainy feel and look very coffee shop/bistro feel to it, the lighting is very nice and I like the softness to it (there's a time and place for sharpness and I like it as is)...I really enjoy this series and I look forward to many more...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

My first impression upon seeing your pic was very positive.I felt i liked it right from the start. Has, as Natalie stated a very Cafe/bistro feel to it.
    It seems that there is and infinite number of possible waysd to shoot a picture and that any shot , no matter how "perfect" it seems to be can be nitpicked to a degree about doing one thing or another a little differently. So while there are certainly lots of other ways to have shot this pic, the way you have done it works for me and so I would tell you Bravo, and leave it be. Good pic, thanks for sharing it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information