Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Chloride

GB1

Chloride

From an April trip to a semi-ghost town named Chloride (Arizona).

Not sure I got 'the' picture I wanted out there, but anyway,... critique away.

G

Name:  DSC_4174_Edit1_1_1200.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  185.0 KB

Name:  DSC_4193_Edit1_1_1200.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  118.9 KB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Chloride

The subject in the first one is great. I love abandon buildings, ruins, ghost towns, so this is right up my alley. However, I find the sunlight in the upper right somewhat distracting. I might try cropping it a little closer to the tracks and perhaps darkening it a bit.

The Shell picture is a little less exciting to me. Maybe a full shot of the pump would be more interesting.

I agree with Erik, the shell one is cool but not very interesting. And I like the top one but I think it either needs like, total lens flare, or to be a bit darker and slightly creepy (since it is a ghost town and all) But I adore this kind of stuff. I always wanted to go to centrailia PA to take photos but now I don't think there is much left. Anything dark and urban/dirty/haunted/creepy/abandoned I absolutely love. I like seeing the beauty in the destroyed. This would be an awesome place for a model shoot of a girl like, dressed all in white or something!

I really like the first one. I can imagine the train pulling in and the engineer yelling fill it up please

GB1

Ok, sounds like the pumps have promise and the "Shell" is too plain.

Yellow, here's a few adjusted versions. Click on them to see the bigger picture. I think the darkish one may be going too far to the dark side. The old pic look is another twist. Great idea on the model, but the unfortunate fact is that it's tough to get models out to places like this. It would take something like a production, which would be very expensive. Maybe, though .. perhaps I could convince a Vegas model to come on down there as the Kingman area isn't that far away from there.

Erik, I actually did do some cropping to try to get rid of that sun and flare, but pretty soon I was losing area I wanted to keep. The last one was an HDR (with very mild settings), and here's one straight off the card, with editing. Comments?

Thanks too DL. Not sure if a train really needed this town's fuel or if this was put in later, just for show!?

G

Chloride-dsc_4177_bleached_1000.jpg

Chloride-dsc_4177_old_1000.jpg
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Okay I might be alone in this, but absolutely ADORE the vintage looking one! I am absolutely obsessed with anything vintage/b&w/sepia. It just reminds me where we all got our start. To know where you are going you have to know where you came from and I think this is amazing because there is nothing new in the photo so it very well could have been taken 50 years ago. Huge snaps to you on this one. I think it's great.

Yeah, the sepia treatment does the most for me as well. The structures in the bg blend in better, I think, eliminating some of the busy.
    I like the Shell, but I think it needs a little more work, something to make the colors pop perhaps. (Or maybe I like American Pickers too much

The second one it's really good.

Thread Information