Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"The Chinese Coolie"

While driving through the small town of Auburn, California tonight, I ran across this huge sculpture. I drive through this town a couple times a week just never down this particular rd. You never know what your going to find I guess. I liked this picture the best out of the collection I shot. If you want to know more information about it click on the link below. What do ya think?
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14435
    Thanks again
    Darin

"The Chinese Coolie"-img_0169.jpg
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Re: "The Chinese Coolie"

I like this one much better to. The only nit pik would be the bricks lower right. But this is pretty good.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The sky / moon look great but the train behind the 'Coolie' is very distracting for me (mind you I don't know what's behind the train...)

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Great scene! The colors are cool and complement the whole scene. I also like the balance between the moon and the statue. I would have left a little more space at the top of the frame, feels a bit crowded, but the bricks at the bottom don't bother me at all. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Some how I do not think the city would appreciate you moving the brick structure and I am sure the railroad would not move the train to accomodate you. Of course I am a FILM ANTIQUE. This is a great shot, when in the field you have to deal with what you are dealt, and your night time shots continue to amaze and delight me.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the moon and light which does actually look like moonlight on the subject and surroundings except that if it is moon light, the shadows are going the wrong way.
    It feels too tight all around to me but I do like the shot.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I like it! The guy out working all night long to get that train unloaded -- and happy to have a job...

Cloning out the brick thing would be a bonus -- but it really isn't much of an issue.

How are you doing these night shots? Are you PP?

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thanks for the reply's. When I get some time I might try cloning out the bricks. On my first post I did clone out the building directly behind the train, it was very annoying. I'm going to make a few more passes by there and take a few more shots now that I have an idea on how it is going to turn out. I would like to get the Southern Pacific caboose in the picture rather that ugly freight hauler.
    Frog, the shadows are a little misconceiving. It is moon light. But there is a parking lot directly behind where I was shooting that is well lit up. This bottom pictures might give you a little better idea of the layout. The first picture is a different angle without the bricks.

"The Chinese Coolie"-img_0170800.jpg

"The Chinese Coolie"-img_0147800.jpg

Darin
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

quote:"Frog, the shadows are a little misconceiving. It is moon light. But there is a parking lot directly behind where I was shooting that is well lit up. This bottom pictures might give you a little better idea of the layout. The first picture is a different angle without the bricks."

Ah! That explains that. It is really not much of an issue.
    I will say that I like it with the bricks better. They are part of the story and if lit up a bit would not be an issue for me. I prefer them being there than having the wheel chopped off and it is a brick hauling wheel barrow.
    The Chinese that came here to work built these railroads across our country while suffering inhumane conditions and terrible racial discrimination. We should be grateful for the riches we have but never forget that they were accumulated and built off the backs of hard working poor people of all nationalities and creeds.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    quote:"Frog, the shadows are a little misconceiving. It is moon light. But there is a parking lot directly behind where I was shooting that is well lit up. This bottom pictures might give you a little better idea of the layout. The first picture is a different angle without the bricks."

Ah! That explains that. It is really not much of an issue.
    I will say that I like it with the bricks better. They are part of the story and if lit up a bit would not be an issue for me. I prefer them being there than having the wheel chopped off and it is a brick hauling wheel barrow.
    The Chinese that came here to work built these railroads across our country while suffering inhumane conditions and terrible racial discrimination. We should be grateful for the riches we have but never forget that they were accumulated and built off the backs of hard working poor people of all nationalities and creeds.
    I couldn't agree with you more frog, well stated. I live in "Gold Country" where gold was first discovered here in California on January 24, 1848, discovered by James Wilson Marshall at Sutter's Mill, in Coloma, California. I plan on shooting some pictures of the mining sites and landmarks in the area soon. I have some but I;m not happy with them. I will post them up after my re-shoot. I live about 30 minuted from there. I live on The Middle fork of the American River along the Western states trail. The history here is incredible. There is still a ton of gold to be had here as well.

Darin

Personally I like the tight fit... the exposure is great, the angle of the shot is great, and the story is too...

Unfortunately the only thing that I genuinely do not like here, is the train...

Great Shot... I prefer the first one posted... !
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thread Information