Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

chick in mid flight

its not the best but i need to know how to do better, nikon d50 set to f10, 1/125 sec exposure time 200 mm focal distant, at aperature prioty the metering mode at pattern, and i reduced the picture to 600 by 604 pixels for downloading. to tell you the truth that bird flew by so fast i thought i was focused on the chick sitting still.any good pointers on the best way my camera can be set up for more better flying shots like you pro's do all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chick in mid flight-dsc_1905..jpg  
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

GB1

Re: chick in mid flight

It's hard to get good action shots of animals. I think what you do need to do, unless you're an expert is to prefocus on a spot/pt in space and just fire as the bird goes by. (Make sure you turn off AF.) That vertical stick in the center hurts the image bad though, and the left one doesn't help either. I would avoid this angle when shooting the birds, so to avoid obstacles, etc, just as you would avoid shooting a pretty flower or sunset. Anyways, good try.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

MB1

The title really helps this image as without it I am not sure we would know what we are looking at.

As GB1 noted the line running through the middle of the frame is unfortunate but the action is interesting enough to overcome that problem.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

There are several different ways of doing it. You can place a wide angle lens close and fire it remotely or shoot with a telephoto from afar. As GB mentioned, prefocusing on a spot where the bird(s) are likely to fly through is the easiest method.

Your shutter speed is far too slow for small birds in flight. Even at 1/750s, there is typically still too much blur in the wings and most of the body. At around 1/1500s, the body becomes well captured with motion blur still evident in the wing tips (which is a good thing IMO).

Pick a spot in space which is clean and clear of obstructions to concentrate your efforts.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

thanks all i will try harder next time,thanks.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

Thread Information