Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Chess wars

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Chess wars

The harsh white, reflective surfaces and new Tokina macro seemed like a challenge while waiting for my son to finish jazz band practice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chess wars-post-one.jpg  
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Chess wars

I like the sharp reflections, especially amongst the oof foreground pieces. An end game setup might be more interesting.
    ----------------------------

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I was thinking along that line. Figured some kind of series.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Michael,

I like the tension this photo provides, reminds me of the first move in a game.

The sharp reflections make this photo for me especially as they reach into the OOF areas between the white's pieces.

My only very minor critique is that I would have added a little bit of blur to the top of the king to make it more realistic where it meets the edge of the board. I would also level the board.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Thanks Roger. I am just starting to test the Macro capabilities of the Tokina and experiment iwth the DOF. That was done under tungsten lightingm cieling mounted in the studio above and behind the camera. Rreglection was provided by the bounce off the white background. I originally got the lens for Portrait work and am just beginning to try the whole macro thing for fun. Exposure was f/16, I can't remember the shutter speed.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I am thinking that it may have worked best if the focus were more on the foreground pieces. The blurry, opaque pieces in the front came off almost like distracting reflections until I gathered what it was I was looking at. Also, focus being closer to the fg would have softened that bg texture cloth, which I find not working for the best interest of the image.Just my initial thoughts here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Thanks Gary, I'll give that a try on the next time around. I'm using the chess wars series as an tool to teach perspective and depth of field to my intermedia and advanced Media Studies students. (Broadcast and film class) I've never really done any kind of still life, just portraits, journalism, sport, events and PR work, so this is always helpful and interesting.

I appreciate the input.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information