Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Cherry Blossoms Around the Tidal Basin

Taken this past April with a Canon A710 IS. Or as I know it, pre-D40.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cherry Blossoms Around the Tidal Basin-cherry.jpg  

GB1

Re: Cherry Blossoms Around the Tidal Basin

I like the upper part of the photo , but I find it a bit dark with the exception of the center well-lit branches. Cherry blossoms are white and they don't seem like that here.. seems the camera meter was fooled by the bright(er) sky? In this situation, best to add 1/2 to 1 f stop of light.

The middle to bottom is somewhat of a letdown, just too dark and without any life. Perhaps this shot would have been better if you aimed up more, eliminating the ground?
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

MB1

I like the top half or so but the dark bottom lacks something (like detail). It might be improved with the use of a split ND filter to lighten up the foreground.

I am also sorry you didn't manage to include the reflection of the Washington Monument in the water-that would have been cool. As it is the image doesn't really have a sense of location when in fact it is DC in the spring.

Finally I think your color balance is a little cold, cherry blossoms have a bit of pink tint in them (even those on a quiet edge of the tidal basin) and I don't see any pink in this image at all.

Thanks, guys, for the input. I agree that it would have been a good move to shift my point of view a bit in order to capture the reflection of the Washington Monument. Do you think a crop of the lower part of the picture would help with the blandness of the ground?

As far as the color of the blossoms, I kid you not that they were more white than pink on this day at this location. If I remember correctly the next day they had changed to their usual pink. Here's a close-up of a blossom from the same time of day and area as my previous shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cherry Blossoms Around the Tidal Basin-blossoms.jpg  

GB1

C - I like your new post. It seems perhaps a tad dark in the background, but the flowers look good. I think it's a stronger shot than the original post, though it is really a completely different type of photo and composition.

Now you have another 8 months to plan out the next blossom shot
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information