Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Cherry

GB1

The Cherry

Looking for ways to improve this shot - ideas? I've cropped in quite a bit.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cherry-dsc_7198_edit1_1_crop1_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: The Cherry

You don't need the fingers

I agree with AE. The nails are overpowering the shot, I think. Also, A white (High key) type shot for the BG would've emphasized the Cherry even more. Now the red of the BG is melting with the reds of the cherry + lips.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

how to improve this particular shot... can you change the background color to something else that contrast s with the reds and the skin ?

you shot into the mouth not perpendicular to it, we see the inside of the cheek , maybe not the best angle

ditto on the fingers

Excellent make up, white teeth, good light, nice cherry, all the elements are there to get a great image

The cherry itself is largely sublime, but the lips are a bit too "hairy" for the sexuality of the shot.

Great color! The curve of the top fingernail throws me off a bit. Is there lipstick on the tooth of the model or is that reflection? Very crisp and clear.

GB1

Alright folks, maybe the background is a bit too much, so I am posting another version before we went with the red background (which I was 100% sure at the time was a great idea).

What I'm learning is that the very very small details can make or break a shot like this. I need to get better at selecting the model's best attributes for attention, and my post processing skills.

GB

My Site

Yeah, I think converting the background to something more neutral and a bit darker and toning down the brightness at the edge of the lips would help this great shot along....

wow, is that a macro lens?

I think the fingers are fine, maybe a little better positioning is in order. And I would include the top of the stem coming from between the fingers. Makes the cherry more complete.

GB1

Thanks fellow, I will give your suggestions a try. Daq, a darker background's an interesting idea and may indeed make her and the cheery pop better. I will also look at the lip edge brightness issue. t200, I believe I did use my Tamron 90mm macro on this one. It's a little harder than it may seem to use it on a shot like this because the DOF is so shallow with macros; you really have to pay attention to what you're doing to keep the subject in focus (and it's a manual focus lens too). Arne, not sure what you mean on better positioning - the fingers or cheery (or mouth)? Agree on the stem - let me check the original and see how much I cropped in post (this one's a few months old).

G

My Site

Thread Information