Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

charles river dock

one of the docks on the charles river at sunset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails charles river dock-river_dock_padding_crop3_lowres.jpg  

Stew, to me it is difficult to tell what it is i'm looking at in this shot. The title of the post lets me in on the fact it is a dock. I think a wider angle and a higher point of view would bring the scene more into play. Also , the orange color on top of the dock seems unnatural, overly saturated or something. Do you have other shots of this dock to post?
    Gary

second shot

here's the only other shot I have of it. basically, the only differences here are a little bit of the bridge supports visible at the top of the photo and a slightly more view "down" the dock. does this give it more of a frame-of-reference?

interested you noticed the colors on the dock. i had every so slightly saturated those colors in the original post. this version however is completely untouched except for cropping and a very slight unsharp mask. it's iso800 which explains the inherent graininess.

thanks for your feedback!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails charles river dock-river_dock_padding_2_lowres.jpg  

ok, I see why you cropped the top out .The crop was good but I like the colors untouched as they are already brilliant.The materials hanging off the dock ,if thts what those are, are interesting and has me keep looking,which is what a picture should do. Thanks for posting. Hope to view more from you.
    ___Gary___

I think you could have exposed the image just a bit more. The materials hanging off the dock are a little too dark. I'm also not sure what the picture's purpose is. It is interesting but...
    Lou

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

thanks, and attempt at explanation...

gahspidy, i'll try to capture this on another evening from a higher view, as you suggested. you're right, it might give the whole shot a bit more context. i'll also try a bit more exposure too to bring out the material colors more, per LLMc's suggestion. i'll see what happens! thanks for the comments.

my mood when i took this photo was to show the decay. i love living in boston and the city has so many beautiful people, buildings, parks, etc. but what i always seem to be most fascinated with is the decay, the dirt and grime, and the trash that is in juxtaposition. the charles river basin (the location of this photo) is generally a beautiful place and is lined by a park that includes famous landmarks such as the hatch-shell (summer concert area), some great bridges, historic boat houses, etc. the remains on this dock have always seemed in stark contrast to that beauty, imo. if you extend this "mood" to how i see the city in general, then maybe this sheds light onto why some of my photos look the way they do...

Thread Information