Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Charcoal Only

Charcoal Only

An edition to my can series. These shots are fun for me to take and print. waht do you think of this. . . any appeal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Only-cans1204-162604x1web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Charcoal Only

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    An edition to my can series. These shots are fun for me to take and print. waht do you think of this. . . any appeal?
    Again I like this and thank goodness for the barrell that drank all the alcohol. Three standing barrells and the shot would not have the same impact at all.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I like this one, I like how only the cans have color. Good shot.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

All These Ideas Man!!

Gary, Gary, Gary!
    All these ideas!
    Where do you find the time to actually shoot these ideas!
    You're making the rest of us look bad you know that!
    I am not sure I like this series, now that I know it is one, as much as I like the "View From Within" one. It just isn't the same.
    I commend you for all of your great ideas and images!
    Can I have some of your time?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Smile Re: All These Ideas Man!!

What I like most are the subtle, pastel-like colors in both images from this series that I have seen. And good, moody B&W to complement.

Now what you might consider is to combine series by crawling into one of these barrells and shoot out...

Tuna

Wink Re: Charcoal Only

I like the shot. I also liked the previous shot of the trash cans too.

The partial color does the trick in this series..

Regards

Seb

Gary, Once again, the magic happens. I think that I prefer this shot over the first of the series because of the odd colors (I can't remember having seen can like that ever) and the gradual color fade off from the first can in the foreground to third can further away. While the selective use of colors necessarily draw the viewer attention to the cans, your composition make the first can in the foreground stand out more and the fact that this specific can is the most coloured of all further emphasis this.

I also notice fine details all arround in the scene. The grass comes out especially lively. I bet that it would be dull in colours but the texture are great here.

I hope that your project for a show work out asap!!

Seb

Tom . . .lol actually, the drums were all straight and I wanted to reposition the one in the middle but it was sealed to the ground from time so I had to kick it to break it free from the grass and it feel against the front can, and I thought yes, perfect.

Kostcoguy. . .thanks for looking and commenting. I'm always encouraged by positve feedback. It helps just as much to know when something is found appealing by others as does good critique.

Brian. . .wow, I am really not deserving of that kind of praise but I very much appreciate the support you have shown me throughout my time here in this forum. I know this series is not for everyone, but I have found much fun in this and it's a joy for me to see these colored cans sliding out of my printer.

Tuna . . .thanks for your time. Yeah, I was actually considering shooting from within a can or barrel. . .but would have to cut out a hole in the bottom and stand outside with lens through the hole so I could get as far deep into the can as possible. If I were to actually crawl into the can I probably would only be able to get the camera no more than halfway to the rear and then with my luck get stuck and then surely the local news would show up as the emergency workers were cutting me out of the can. ;)

Chris. . .great to hear. Thanks for your feedback

Seb. . .I'm very happy that you noticed that and pointed it out. The emphasis on the first can and the fade of color and lighting towards the last can was my intent and edit it that way. yeah, in color it is pretty much a boring shot, but that is what the idea is all about is turning this into a pop art eye candy sort of thing. Thanks again, Seb.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 01-10-2005 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Name correction

gary

Seb

Seb. . . yeah, in color it is pretty much a boring shot, but that is what the idea is all about is turning this into a pop art eye candy sort of thing.
    Actually, I meant that the grass in the foreground probably doesn't stand out in your original unprocessed shot but that your processing took it to the next level. Considering your interesting composition, I would tend to believe that this shot would still works in full colors but its visual impact would be totally different, it would works differently.

regards

Seb

Very nice. Is there just a bit of a white object peeking into the top left vertcal portion of the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTerry
    Very nice. Is there just a bit of a white object peeking into the top left vertcal portion of the frame?

Welcome CarbonTerry,
    yes, that is actually a bit of speck of dust perhaps . I shoot film and scan my negatives. For this web version, I guess I was a bit careless with the "quality Control". Thanks for looking and your time to comment.

gary

I think you've kept just the right amount of saturation here. Have you considered keeping a bit more detail in the sky? I think a bit more without it becoming a point of focus sould strengthen it a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, Chunk. I like the extra drama givene to the sky. Actually, In the process i use to do these final images, I had brought out the sky more than it was originally with multiply layers, Channel mixing adjustments and a bit of burning. I was just afraid to go to far lest I start seeing lots of grain and breaking down somewhat of the quality in larger printouts. But I think I can squeek out a bit more. btw, the subject and the techinique here. . .do you feel there is appeal here

gary

btw, the subject and the techinique here. . .do you feel there is appeal here
    I like the concept and the bw/colored can technique you are using, especially since you are keeping the color muted for a more subtle overall feel. I think the images are hanging together well as a series and are stronger as a group than they are as indiviual shots. There's a lot of potential in the idea as you explore and discover these cans' second lives. There are a lot of secondary uses for these cans once their intended use is past and your shots let us wonder about their silent histories. I like the hints we get from some of the stuff written on them.

How inclusive are you going to get with this series? Are you going to include shots of new cans as counterpoint to the old? Steel drum band?

Here are a few secondary uses for cans that I've seen that might be interesting subjects.
    -burn barrels / warming barrels
    -supports for impromtu work benches or sales counters
    -tool storage at construction sites
    -cooking pot at clam bakes/fish boils
    -watering troughs
    -barbeque grills
    -sand storage for wintertime use at slippery intersections

Your series has us looking at and thinking about one of those commonplace items that is so ubiquitous that its nearly invisable. I'm glad you are taking our blinders off.

I hope you believe that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Here's a shot of mine from a couple years ago that I just played with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charcoal Only-001.jpg  

Great shot, Chunk. Yes, thats the kind of thing that I eventually will be looking to add to the series. I am looking to be more inclusive with the theme and include other subjects in maybe more abstract settings. . . and have some fun with name play.Big cans next to small ones, old next to new asn contrasts as well. Some do have evidence of past uses and reason for being while others are just fun in their appearance. Also the bg and setting I like to have almost equally interesting as the subject itself. The setting I find important for the whole visual appeal. Thanks for the ideas and discussion, much appreciated.

gary

Thread Information