Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Central Park. . .life under the arch

Just one of my pics from Central Park. Converted to b&w, . How do you feel about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central Park. . .life under the arch-archcentralpark0904-082602xbwweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the isolation of the arch itself; surrounded by the near-blackness it reinforces the tunnel aspect. The fact that it's off-center helps. The textures in the ceiling are interesting but not distracting. I love the sax player in silhouette. Nice job. B&W is definitely the way to go for this.

My only negative comment is that there's nothing as compelling in the action, but then again you'd either have to direct them or hang around all day.

Hi Gary

I like this image quite well. I feel you have captured a park setting nicely. Your exposure and conversion is good. I also like how the person walking the dogs is facing the saxophone player. All this really creates a sense of presence to the viewer.
    My only concern is the image being too centered. The person who is walking the dogs is directly in the center of the image. Not to mention a dog on each side of the person and a person on each side of the underpass, it’s just too balanced. I would suggest cropping off from the bottom and the right side. Other than that great image.

Regards

Phil

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I like this image, it has a lot of things to look at, from the designs in the wall, leading your eye to the people framed under the arch... i didn't *feel* that the woman was centered, with more of the tunnel showing on the left - it gave me an off balance feel, ( in a good way) but after reading pez31's comments, I pulled the image and cropped off some of the bottom and the right side(just the darkest areas) and it did look good like that.... Very good capture, I love the people you chose to show us, they each have their own little thing making them different.... Makes me wonder about them... pulls me in more.

Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

...Another thought

Just wanted to add, that the reason for the " your subject should not be centered" guideline, is that it makes an image appear "static" I don't find this image to be static in the least, even though the woman is centered.

Also, Images are centered when they want to showcase a symetrical subject, or call to attention that it is asymetrical..........
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Just one of my pics from Central Park. Converted to b&w, . How do you feel about it?
    Fine photograph. I like it. My first though was that the woman and dogs and the people behind her took away from the picture. I might clone them out and see if you like it. I also though there might be a different picture there with a severe crop. Here it is. My objective isn't to mutilate you photograh, but to show you a different thought. Hope you don't mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like, but...

It is a good image, and is fairly interesting.
    I like the compostion, there is a certain symmetry to it with the woman and dogs.
    The black and white offers some great textures especially in the ceiling. The lines from the ceiling are great too, it provides a good line for your eye to follow.
    The hot spot around the two guys in the background is a little bothersome.
    Glad to see you are out shooting as often as you can.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks Iguanamom, I appreciate your time to comment.

Pez31. . . thanks for your input. I would agree with you on your points about the crop. When I tried as you suggested, I liked it and felt it a bit more pleasing. Will strongly consider this crop suggestion before printing a keeper.

Clicker. . . .I like your in-depth analysis that you offer me. I too agree with Pez31 suggestion on the crop. . .but realize that it is also acceptable as it stands And I appreciate your positive comments on the subject matter.

LavaLamp. . . Yeah, I too was thinking about shooting just the sax player as a silhouette as I realized the potential of that shot. . .but got distracted and missed it. Thanks for your time.

Brian . . .Thanks for pointing out the positive aspects of the image. I may try darkening the bg and even applying a bit of a gaussian blur to it. There was another woman right behind the lady walking the dogs creating a busy feel. I was able to clone her out pretty well to help keep the silhoettes looking simple and clean. Thanks again.

gary

Clicker. . .as for your clarification of centering. . I agree. The "subject" here would actually be the opening of the arch, not the woman walking the dogs.All else are elements of interest. This might be diputed. .but is how I feel about it. It works like this compositionally, but I do like Pez31 suggestion as it seems to help cut to the meat of the image.

gary

Just thought i would throw this in for comparison. This is a shot from outside the arch. I like this too for what its worth. What about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central Park. . .life under the arch-archcentralpark0904-072601xbwweb.jpg  

gary

Re: Central Park. . .life under the arch

Gary,
    Really incredible. I like this one- I think the off centeredness of the tunnel, with the centered woman create an interesting shot. The sax player absolutely makes this shot.
    My nitpicking - the two outside the tunnel coming towards the woman... to quote you - "Make them go away!"
    I really appreciate the detail in the wall and the sense of place it helps to create. Your second shot is great as well, but does not pack nearly the same punch as the first.
    I feel more removed from the scene.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Clicker. . .as for your clarification of centering. . I agree. The "subject" here would actually be the opening of the arch, not the woman walking the dogs.All else are elements of interest. This might be diputed. .but is how I feel about it. It works like this compositionally, but I do like Pez31 suggestion as it seems to help cut to the meat of the image.
    You hit the nail on the head, That's Exactly why I didn't feel it was centered... your framing worked for me, and the details in the interior of the arch are very interesting.. I do see it as the main subject, but didn't quite find the right words for that feeling I guess!

Also, your second image, I like it as well, the exterior seems to be as interesting as the interior.... Personally though, i would crop this image starting from the end of the bush ( which is also the start of the "column" opening to the arch) all the way to the right, and then down to the first shadow... I think that the bush distracts, as it has this sort of "burning" bush feel to it, almost infared...
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    You hit the nail on the head, That's Exactly why I didn't feel it was centered... your framing worked for me, and the details in the interior of the arch are very interesting.. I do see it as the main subject, but didn't quite find the right words for that feeling I guess!

Also, your second image, I like it as well, the exterior seems to be as interesting as the interior.... Personally though, i would crop this image starting from the end of the bush ( which is also the start of the "column" opening to the arch) all the way to the right, and then down to the first shadow... I think that the bush distracts, as it has this sort of "burning" bush feel to it, almost infared...
    Villena, Thanks as always.I value your comments and point of view.

Clicker, glad we see it the same. This is an edited version of the same shot. i thought that this helped give it more simplicity and more effect. Slight crop as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central Park. . .life under the arch-archcentralpark0904-082602x1bwweb.jpg  

gary

Ok, here I go again...

Image #1

Too symmetrical? Needs a crop? I don't know.
    See the thing is; I looked at the image and I liked it from the start.
    Why? Because the global picture expresses very well what crosses my mind when I think about a park; going for a walk, relax, letting the dogs out, music, people making contact, a sunny day and things like that. You did a great job expressing a wonderful day in the park and being able to do that as a photographer is something that really deserves respect.
    I also don't see any real distractions, I see well balanced light, interesting diagonals, framing, textures, silhouettes, depth and things like that.

You know, all these things really up (in the positive sense), so the question whether the image is too symmetrical is suddenly less important for me. I guess this is one of these shots that I don't care about rules and guidelines and only look at the total 'picture'. Of course, one can always try a different crop, but that never crossed my mind actually. I think it has such a minor effect on an image that already contains so many interesting elements. Anyway, that's the way I look at it.

Maybe now you understand that image #2 has less of an effect on me. The things that made #1 so strong are slightly missing. It's like I'm looking at the park from a greater distance, emotionally that is.

Well done Gary.

That last one looks really nice too Gary!
    I can't say which one is better than the other though. Leaving the woman out or leaving her in... both have different strengths in my view. I don't think there's anything wrong with having the woman in the shot when I'm really honest. That's also one of the reasons why some people go to a park, to be among people. Sometimes people don't want to be among crowds... those are my thoughts when I look at your last shot.

Adding the soft background (and glow?) in combination with the tighter crop on one side is exactly what it needed after the removing the woman. Just removing the woman would not have been enough in my view.

Wonderful to see what some retouching can do to an image.
    Last edited by Elysian; 10-01-2004 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    That last one looks really nice too Gary!
    I can't say which one is better than the other though. Leaving the woman out or leaving her in... both have different strengths in my view. I don't think there's anything wrong with having the woman in the shot when I'm really honest. That's also one of the reasons why some people go to a park, to be among people. Sometimes people don't want to be among crowds... those are my thoughts when I look at your last shot.

Adding the soft background (and glow?) in combination with the tighter crop on one side is exactly what it needed after the removing the woman. Just removing the woman would not have been enough in my view.

Wonderful to see what some retouching can do to an image.
    Elysian,
    Thanks as always for your in depth comments and feeling on the image. I find it very helpful and encouraging as well. I do like both versions also, but really don't like when that happens as I don't feel right about having two versions of the same scene. Just a peeve, I guess. I think ultimately I will go with the edited version, and take the time to do a better job on the cloning and softfocus before keeping for a final print.
    It was a Gaussian blur applied to a small selected area in the bg, and then a soft focus applied to everything outside the arch.

gary

Um....

The new background now has an "ethereal" feel to it...
    and the guy sitting across from the sax player... well, as he is more predominant in the scene now, at first glance, It almost looked like his torso was elongated...and his head was huge....
    mainly because of the way the tree is shaped directly over his head, It's kinda wierd at first, then when you look closer and see that there is a little bit of light coming off his head, just enough to see the seperation... but I wanted you to see what I saw first... It's kinda like a photo in a photo....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rachel

Re: Um....

but i'm sure that the print will not appear this way...
    Rachel

Thread Information