Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Central Park

Central Park

Three images from the beginning of the year in NY. Any thoughts or comments most welcome particularly if you think the B and W works in the first two. Thanks a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Central Park-3-800.jpg   Central Park-5-800.jpg   Central Park-2-800.jpg  
    Keep your sense of proportion by regularly, preferably daily, visiting the natural world.

Re: Central Park

first two definitely work in BW, closer crops would be better though

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

B&W definite plus.
    I wouldn't crop closer, though but maybe a bit wider.
    Also would have been better if the subjects were not centered but to the right of the frame and that the one guy's shoe wasn't resting on bottom of frame in first.
    Those are nit-pics though and the images are thoroughly enjoyable.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the comments Caleb, I rather liked the background and feel that a closer crop would put the people a bit out of context, maybe thats just my personal context as it reminds me of my holiday.
    Thanks too Frog, I agree with everything you say (as usual) however, going wider or off centering the images ends up with some distracting things that are just out of frame being included. The guy's shoe I have no excuse for and will definitely rectify that. I really glad you enjoyed the images.
    Keep your sense of proportion by regularly, preferably daily, visiting the natural world.

The first one would have been better had the gents feet were completely in the frame and the second one made me chuckle. The guy on the rights expression is priceless. I also agree B&W is the way to go.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I love thses shots! I agree with Greg on the feet, but this is an awesoem series.

This series is great, I feel like that if you start in B/W you should end with it, and like wise with color (my two cents). A better crop would help the two that you posted in b/w out, the top one bring in both sides, the second one crop out the right side and I feel like you'll see the improvement immediately.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Thanks so much for your comments guys, it means a lot to me that you liked them. Lori, Greg, Frog, the foot mistake has taught me to pay closer attention when cropping so, although a bit embarrassing, I have learned a valuable lesson from that. Chris, I only left the last one in colour to give an alternative to the B and W shots and I hear what you are saying about one or the other, if this had not been the critique forum I would have done just that. I'll try out the crops that you suggest and post the results.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

First 2 shots great, I really like the second one. I'd probably try not to have the subjects in the middle of shot. All said and done great stuff. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

PRB

The second shot tells such a great story, its my favorite out of this series and, I have become much less critical of "centered" shots as I get older. As long as the story is there, I say bravo. Also, I am glad that you included the 3rd shot in color, it brings out the fun in this series.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

The first two are wonderful as a series. The 'coach' is great. George himself could have taken lessons on the 'George Burns' expression this guy has. – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Great stuff, Martin! The B&W really adds to the mood of these shots. I like them both, amazing expressions, but the second one is the better one IMHO. It sort of fills the frame in a better way, and there's the thing about the shoes (stalks? ) that others have mentioned already. oh, and I love their caps

Mette
    My Sony Alpha 700 and I have been joined by a Tamron 200-500mm

Hey I enjoyed the first shot! The b&w and the elder gentlemen work well together. it's a tiny bit overexposed though, if u can pull some black back in it , that would make it better imo. nicely done anyhow.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information