Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Cathedral - Cologne, Germany

I shot this during a two month backpacking trip through Europe last summer. Goes to show how slow and lazy I am with my photos Finally got a handful of them scanned into the computer.

Anyhow I really liked this photo because I caught the cathedral and bridge right when a storm was rolling in on the area. My concern is the boat in the lower corner. I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

As for the Cathedral itself, Wow, it's huge....and it's quite a workout walking to the top

Appreciate any comments,
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 08-30-2004 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Unsticking as Featured Photo for the week of August 23, 2004

Scott...

[QUOTE=berrywise]

I shot this during a two month backpacking trip through Europe last summer. Goes to show how slow and lazy I am with my photos Finally got a handful of them scanned into the computer.

Anyhow I really liked this photo because I caught the cathedral and bridge right when a storm was rolling in on the area. My concern is the boat in the lower corner. I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

As for the Cathedral itself, Wow, it's huge....and it's quite a workout walking to the top

Appreciate any comments,
    scott[/QUOTE
    um, that's just a magnificent photo. The perspective really leads the eye into the photo and onward to the cathedral. Your vantage point was ideal in my opinion. Yes, it does need the ship, it gives it movement and life. I'm honestly impressed with the expertise it took to create this shot. The scale is so appealing to me also. The tone and lighting are perfect for the shot and you lucked out with the storm clouds. No kidding, it's really wonderful.
    ~ Kit

Beautifully framed and captured. The boat is perfect where it is. Nice job. A unique keepsake from your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise

Appreciate any comments,
    scott
    Well framed and exposed and I think its OK with the boat in there. If you really intend it to be a shot of the cathedral, I think that it needs to be in focus rather than the nearer part of the bridge.
    Nice work, what else do you have from Cologne?
    Last edited by Chunk; 08-20-2004 at 06:52 AM.

tab
    Nice job on the composition, the boat looks fine down there. It definitely doesn't take anything away by being there. I would agree about trying to get the cathedral in focus as well. I don't know what you were shooting with or what modes you were in. I would guess that using a program mode and focusing on a near point on the bridge would result in the softer focus on the distant cathedral. But maybe that's what you wanted in the first place in any case it's a nice photo, good eye.

Very good, boat is an added element of interest. Great framing and composition. Well worth framing. Good job
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

mjm
    that guy.
    nice shot, the dark clouds really bring it all together for me.

Hey Wow

I had gotten tied up with some things around work this past week and was just coming over to respond to some comments and I saw my photo up top. I'm in a pretty elite club now of two time featured photographers ;)

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    um, that's just a magnificent photo. The perspective really leads the eye into the photo and onward to the cathedral. Your vantage point was ideal in my opinion. Yes, it does need the ship, it gives it movement and life. I'm honestly impressed with the expertise it took to create this shot. The scale is so appealing to me also. The tone and lighting are perfect for the shot and you lucked out with the storm clouds. No kidding, it's really wonderful.
    ~ Kit
    Thank you for the very kind words shesells. I've enjoyed reading your comments here and in viewfinder. Always have good things to say. With everyone comments I say the ship stays!

I had seen the angle when we were coming up the Rhine river (we took a boat to see all the castles along the river) but were dropped off on the wrong side to get a photograph of it. Finally right before we were to leave for Paris I had my friend, who we stayed with, drive me to the spot and I was able to take just a few photos before it started raining. Good luck that day.

Thanks again for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    Beautifully framed and captured. The boat is perfect where it is. Nice job. A unique keepsake from your visit.
    Thanks for the comments Tuna. One of my favorite things after the trip was over was having a slideshow for all my friends and talking about all the different experiences we (my friend and I) had.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Well framed and exposed and I think its OK with the boat in there. If you really intend it to be a shot of the cathedral, I think that it needs to be in focus rather than the nearer part of the bridge.
    Nice work, what else do you have from Cologne?
    Thanks Chunk. I agree with your comments. I think this might have been mistitled. The picture wasn't completely taken to emphasize the cathedral but more to show the bridge and cathedral along with the Rhine river. I was really working for the composition of the different elements more than having one be more dominant than another.

Most of the trip was shot using Provia 100 (this shot included) & 400 and I think a roll of 400 could have really helped get a few more extra f-stops to get everything in focus.

Cologne was one of the cities I didn't shoot as much in because we were staying with friends and were enjoying more of their company around the house instead of out exploring like we did in other cities.

Thanks again.

Hi tab. I actually shot this with an older manual focus Nikon FM3 camera body with a 24mm lens. I didn't feel up to the challenge of trying to safeguard my digital camera along with the hassle of finding places to download the images of my flash cards.

I agree a stopping down a few more F-stops could have definately helped the photo getting everything in focus. I had thought about brining a small tripod but decided against since we were backpacking and it would be extra weight for not using it much.

The other option was like you suggested to focus on the Cathedral and leave the bridge slightly out of focus. That could go either way I think. Probably should have shot one frame each way.

Truth be told I probably couldn't even tell at the time it was out of focus

Quote Originally Posted by tab
    Nice job on the composition, the boat looks fine down there. It definitely doesn't take anything away by being there. I would agree about trying to get the cathedral in focus as well. I don't know what you were shooting with or what modes you were in. I would guess that using a program mode and focusing on a near point on the bridge would result in the softer focus on the distant cathedral. But maybe that's what you wanted in the first place in any case it's a nice photo, good eye.

Penny,

I'm so glad you responded to my photo because I really admire your photographs and your comments. They are always very good and insightful. I would like to get more scanned when I can find the time and put them into a website along with voice comments that I could somehow record into the computer. That's the idea anyway. When I get that done I'm sure to post over in viewfiner. Till then maybe I'll post a few along the way in critique.

Just thinking about the trip while typing responses makes me want to save up another few thousand dollars and get some plane tickets

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Scott:

This is definitely suitable for framing. What great architecture and, the gothic colors fit perfectly.

Good work, keep scanning and posting those images from your backpacking trip. I bet you've got a lot more winners to share with us. Thank you for this one.

Best to You,
    Penny

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Very good, boat is an added element of interest. Great framing and composition. Well worth framing. Good job
    Thanks gahspidy. You read my mind. I had to print out a few photos for something else I was working on and to make the minimum order amount I threw this one in as well ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    nice shot, the dark clouds really bring it all together for me.
    Thanks MJM. I think without the clouds the photo does drop a notch in its overall look. A few minutes later and the whole photo would have been gone because of rain (much of our stay in Cologne was plagued by rain) and we were on our way out of town not long after.

Hey - I guessed right! I've seen some of your other work and since you were backpacking, I figured the DOF had more to do with a handholdable shutter speed. However, if you did have a tripod you might have a problem with motion blur with the boat.

Minor criticism here to an overall well-done shot. Interesting the way the storm clouds are only over the church but the sunlight on the bridge makes it stand out.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berrywise

Appreciate any comments,
    scott
    Love the lighting in this photo, I think it's very fitting, Dark clouds over a soft focus cathedral, brings your attention to the lines of the bridge, then back over to the cathedral again. Well done! oh, and I like the boat, had the church been dark, it may have been a little distracting, but since the cathedral has a light roof on it, the boat isn't competing for attention with the cathedral at all. (as far as being the lightest object on the left side)
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Axena
    Actually, I love the photo, but I am on the fence with you about the boat... the overall composition is of a sullen "mood" and the white boat adds an element of "purity"... makes for an interesting contrast. I would love to see one without the boat to see if it makes a difference. Great photo though either way!

Thread Information