Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: bmx

Tez

bmx

EOS 5 zenitar fish eye ilford delta 100 hand printed grade seven

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: bmx

It's kind of small!
    If you can why don't you post a bigger version so we can all get a better idea about your photograph.
    Sy no bigger than 640pixels on the longest side.
    Welcome to PR.com!
    I look forward to seeing what looks like some great BMX photography!
    Oh and you can post photographs here in the thread or you can post them in your very own gallery here on PR.com too and link them via html from there.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

looks great in black and white. gives a great sense of motion but I wish the rider wasn't as blurry so you could make them out a bit more. Great to see another bike photographer on here.

a tad faster shutter and panning would do wonders with this shot.

also a flash in the bottom of the stairs would probably help alot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Galningen
    a tad faster shutter and panning would do wonders with this shot.

also a flash in the bottom of the stairs would probably help alot too.
    Flash at the bottom of the stairs would be the ticket! Then the blur wouldn't matter. Action photos where the subject is blurred are tricky. I like it when the rider is a ghost. But I don't like them when it's too in-between. I'm not sure about this one. But if you had some flash to freeze the rider and keep the blur, that would be awesome.

I do like the harsh, dirty feel of the image. I think it's a bit contrasty. But that's a matter of personal taste. When I still printed in the darkroom, I noticed that my taste changed over the years. I started out liking my images very contrasty. But as time passed I liked more and more detail. I think I learned to appreciate subtlety more.

Anyway - welcome. There are a bunch of us action photogs here. Another one is always nice. Especially if you bring something new to the mix. And it looks like your style is a little different. So teach us something!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Awesome shot. I'm a BMX rider myself, so I'm happy any time I see a rider shot done with some flair like this. It's really hard to give a good critique because of the small size here, but I think the blur works in this instance. If you did a whole SET of a rider and they were all bluured, I might take issue. But as a single shot, or as part of a set this works just fine.
    Good job creating a unique image! Send it to RIDE!
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Thread Information