Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Blue Shell - experimental

I took this picture as an experiment in September, and I just decided to post it to see what opinions are about it. It was never a completed shot, so keep that in mind, just something I did one day when I was bored.

I used a blue light.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

drg

Re: Blue Shell - experimental

Interesting idea. You might try to use a gradient as effect to shade the blue or vary the tonality in some way.

A slight rotation of the shell or placing it a less centered fashion could also add to the overall visual appeal.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for the comments and ideas, I'll see what I can do when I can find the time.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

i like it cool effect how or what did you use light wise
    J.Curreri

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dogg Productions
    i like it cool effect how or what did you use light wise
    I used a blue christmas light bulb in a nightlight about a foot or two away from the shell. The shutter speed was a few seconds, but I forget how long to be exact.

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

cool nice job
    J.Curreri

David,

Nice shot, just a couple of minor critiques, the hot part on the right of the shell, and the left side could do with a tad more light/reflection just do define the edge of the shell.

Nice bit of creativity:idea: , but may I ask a rude question? Well I will anyway. Why did you have Christmas lights out in September ? Mine are still tucked up for the summer at this point .

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

nice shot! wish i had this for my project i just had to do with blue. I think the centering actually works well here, and I'm usually not a fan of centered subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    David,

Nice shot, just a couple of minor critiques, the hot part on the right of the shell, and the left side could do with a tad more light/reflection just do define the edge of the shell.

Nice bit of creativity:idea: , but may I ask a rude question? Well I will anyway. Why did you have Christmas lights out in September ? Mine are still tucked up for the summer at this point .

Roger
    Good comments and questions. That hot part on the right also bugs me, since I noticed it, so I'll be sure to fix that, and same with the darkened side.

My "studio" is actually just a space I have clear underneath my house, with a ceiling of maybe four feet and a dirt floor with tarp over it. We keep a lot of stuff down there, such as christmas lights. Also, I really like to do things with colors, so any chance I get, I will see what I can do with colors. So, working 20 feet away from the christmas lights and wanting color made an obvious connection, and I used an old nightlight as a socket.

Thread Information