Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Blowout

Blowout

I guess you can't call it a rowboat anymore.

Which version do you prefer? Any other suggestions?

I'll bet Speed has a shot of this boat too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blowout-11.jpg   Blowout-111.jpg  

I like the second, except for its slight tilt. I don't know why I like it better. I just find it more interesting. I like seeing more water in the second one, and I just like where the boat is in relation to the rest of the picture.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Nice subject matter..

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk

I like your subject matter, these type images always grab me. Love your color saturation and detail in the boat, nice texture as well. Now for the nits. I like the angle of the boat in the first shot and the background better in the second. Would be great if there was a way to include more water in the background and eliminate the fence. All in all a very nice photo that misses being really good because all of the elements just don't matchup. Just my 2 cents worth.

mjm
    that guy.

Question

i like the 2nd as well. the side of the boat hanging off adds more to the scene and the fence leads my eye to the water.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I like the first but i would like it more with the sky and water *cropped out* Just find it more amusing if the view was of a boat - and no water in sight. i also like the prominence of the boat in the frame and the angle ( being able to look down into it)

the second ( i like this one as well, by the way) i find the post on the left side to be distracting.
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I like the second, except for its slight tilt. I don't know why I like it better. I just find it more interesting. I like seeing more water in the second one, and I just like where the boat is in relation to the rest of the picture.
    Thanks Kelly. I like the more water aspect too. Seems like a possible explanation of why this old boat is so far from the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I like your subject matter, these type images always grab me. Love your color saturation and detail in the boat, nice texture as well. Now for the nits. I like the angle of the boat in the first shot and the background better in the second. Would be great if there was a way to include more water in the background and eliminate the fence. All in all a very nice photo that misses being really good because all of the elements just don't matchup. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks Larry. What do you mean by "These type images"? Nautical themes or falling apart stuff (I relate closely to those ) or...?

I have to agree with your analysis. Maybe I'll have to do a painting to combine the good elements of the two. A friend of mine did a painting of this boat a few years before I took the picture but I haven't looked at it lately so maybe I could paint it without being to much influenced by his.

I have several other 'don't quite make it' versions of this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    i like the 2nd as well. the side of the boat hanging off adds more to the scene and the fence leads my eye to the water.
    Thanks for commenting. I do kinda like how the fence and that open lead of water bracket the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    I like the first but i would like it more with the sky and water *cropped out* Just find it more amusing if the view was of a boat - and no water in sight. i also like the prominence of the boat in the frame and the angle ( being able to look down into it)

the second ( i like this one as well, by the way) i find the post on the left side to be distracting.
    Thanks for looking Rachel. I tried it with that post cropped out and thought that having it in stopped the eye from sliding out of the frame and pushes it back up to that open lead and around.
    You really want that boat looking stranded and forlorn, don't you?

I like them both, very nice job! I do prefer the second, as it holds more character, however I would clone out that pole in the left... or maybe you like it? Just a personal preference on that pole.
    Nice shots

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk

Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I too like the second, seems to me that it portrays a sadness and a longing for times past when the boat was in the water and had a usefull life.
    Bobby

Chunk,
    i like the subject alot, and also like both compositions equally. My first thought upon looking at them was how these seem to be good subjects for b&w. So I tried a conversion on the secoone( with the post in the foreground) and it looked very powerful to me. I also feel the sky and water in both shots should be cropped out and also crop out the post in the left lower frame of the sefcond shot. I don't think the sky and water are adding anything here, just adding some other elements that are not needed. To sum it up; I like the subject alot, and like the shots as they are, but feel the suggestions I made help make these images more powerful, IMO. Good work.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Chunk,
    i like the subject alot, and also like both compositions equally. My first thought upon looking at them was how these seem to be good subjects for b&w. So I tried a conversion on the secoone( with the post in the foreground) and it looked very powerful to me. I also feel the sky and water in both shots should be cropped out and also crop out the post in the left lower frame of the sefcond shot. I don't think the sky and water are adding anything here, just adding some other elements that are not needed. To sum it up; I like the subject alot, and like the shots as they are, but feel the suggestions I made help make these images more powerful, IMO. Good work.
    Good ideas. Gary thanks for taking the time. I guess the water/treeline/sky are important as vacation photos to show it's on a Carolina saltmarsh instead of a hayfield next to Rome Pond in Wisconsin, but perhaps not needed for the boat photo. Here's a quick try using red componet after splitting to RGB and then using a curves adjustment to darken the grasses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blowout-06.jpg  

Great job converting, Chunk. I like this alot. Really brings out the weathered texture and dynamic that this shot should be about. The whites of the boat stand out strong against the darker grassy area. Great job
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Great technique Chunk. This looks very sharp converted. I do prefer your second original though
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

o.k. I've looked at it quite a few times...

I really love the way the boat in the BW version but comp wise it's not quite right to me...on either count...sorry...can you reshoot? definitely a beautifully weather piece of old wood ...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Resting on the Lunatic Fringe FadderUri's Avatar
    Personally, I like the first one better.... seems to be more balanced. I like the way that the boat pretty much fills the lower right quadrant... The fence is a bit of a clutter, but needed to show the sky which gives an interesting perspective. Might be interesting in sepia-tones....

Thread Information