Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Black and White Sunset

Sunset shot at 500mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black and White Sunset-sunset.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Black and White Sunset

I like contrasty photographs, but I'd really like to see just a touch of detail in the center -- it shows up here just as a black void, seeming to disconnect the sun with the reflection, but still a very strong image.
    Aaron

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Aaron, thanks for the kind words. I have received similar feedback about the "blackness" before so I guess that's something I'm going to have to work on. Unfortunately, everytime I've had the negative printed it comes back with little to no detail in that area of the photograph so I am may need to get the neg scanned and bring it out myself.

I appreciate it!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

For starters, I hate the fact that while replying to your thread, I can't view your picture, and must keep copy and pasting, while going back and forth. ARG.

I think this is a fresh concept on sunsets, not only the use of BW, but on your use of space. When I think sunset, I think of open skies, and rich colours. This picture incorporates no precidents of your average sunset template. I Love the "black void" and think it makes for a truly gorgeous composition. I am also fond of the shades of black/gray, and the unconventional order they appear. (Light to dark to medium). The two problems I have are that 1. The edge of the mountain directly under the sun has become very soft and the silhouette line vanishes completely. I think if you were to fix this in an editing program, it would have much more of an impact. #2, there appears to be something, a couple tree's, shrubs, maybe some man-made structure, at the top right of the image. I would suggest cropping them out.

Amazing work, I am very jealous.

Andrew

toronto, if you use the "quick reply" link, you stay on the same page, and all you have to do is scroll up.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information