Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"Behind Closed Doors"

This is my best work so far. It looked really small when i resized it in photoshop( it was 100mb's though ) I took this picture on accadent as a cop was approaching me and a friend to question us on why we were takeing pictures. I submitted this to the Columbus Dispatches photo contest. Id like ot know your thoughts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Behind Closed Doors"-jjs-awesome-picture23.jpg  

Re: "Behind Closed Doors"

sw8 hn

I'm not sure what to make of the door knob. I don't know if the DOF is off or if it's just out of focus. In addition, I'm not sure if I would like in in the shot or cropped out. JMHO, however. You nailed the colors, though. Good luck.
    John

I can see what you mean.... but like i said i wasent expecting this to be much of a "keeper" as i was taken by suprise when a cop was coming up to us, we were looking inside that boarded up building so i was trying to look less suspicious.

I like the colors and textures and the composition is strong too. I'd try burning in the knob to make it less distracting from the infocus part of the picture. I think the knob is important to the picture though so don't crop it off. We probably all have a few good shots that weren't exactly intentional.
    ----------------------------

I like this a lot. The mix of textures and colors is very fun and keeps the image from being static. I'd like to tone down the lock a bit, it seems a bit blown. I too feel that losing the knob would be a mistake.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

I love the colors in this. I agree with D on the lock, and also with the others about the knob. The rust and the chain, and the wear and tear in general are all really nice together.

Emily

Great colors and contrast of the chain. Very strong image. How did you do in Columbus Dispatch contest?

CF

Great color and texture.

I would think the cop would be even more suspicious of you taking pictures of locks -- perhaps "casing da joint."

I think I may be in the minority here, but I find the colors kind of garish. It almost hurts my eyes because there's nothing for them to rest on to get away from it.

I agree the colors are oversaturated. If the image were pin sharp it would work, but the textures are dulled by poor focus.

Oh boy, I had a bit of a deja vu there. The first thing I looked at after viewing the photo was the date. phew!! I thought I was going nuts for a second.

I could've sworn I comented on this a while back. Nice colors and textures. Though it might be something someone could build a layout around for a news peice or something but the photo itself doesn't do a whole a lot for me personally.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information