Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Beehive Creek

Beehive Creek

The sun came out just after a heavy shower and highlighted the steam coming off the trees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beehive Creek-beehive-creek.jpg  
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Re: Beehive Creek

I like it pete. I just wish it wasn't so this over exposed. I'm picturing in my mind a darker shot with the steam being the highlights of the shot. and hence standing out more. right now the places where the sun strikes are so overexposed they over power the steam itself.

really good idea though. i think if you found a more shaded area, maybe that would've worked to make the steam the highlights?
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Leels just wanted to say that I learned a lot from that comment just now. Thank you

I love how the green is popping out on the tree trunks, but the grass is a little bright.

Thanks Liban, I tried to make the steam more prominent but I couldn't seem to find the right spot without some serious clipping going on. I agree the creek should feature, so I wonder what you think of this version ?

Thanks Brandy, um yes the grass is a bit blown out ....

( image compression hasn't been kind to this one )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beehive Creek-beehive-creek2.jpg  
    Pete

This second version is beautiful ! The composition is in a different league than the first image

While there is still a bit blown light in the grass I see the bridge and the creek, I really like it , the bit of fog just gives it a more interesting ambiance

I definitely like the 2nd one more. I like the inclusion of the creek itself and the exposure is a lot better controlled.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

I like them both for different reasons. The first has excellent contrast between near and backgrounds, and the mist really helps. The second has better overall composition and I also like the way the mist 'graduates' the different objects as they recede. I wish I could add mist like this to my scenes any time I wanted it.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks Armando glad you like it
    Liban thanks your original comments prompted me to have another look though this collection of shots.
    Thanks GB the backlight and high humidity made this happen so, but shortly after this shot we had thunder, lightning, and a heavy down pour......
    Pete

Very cool capture Pete. Something about the shadow tones on the trees and by the water looks unreal, sort of like that "fill light" slider went up too high in raw conversion. The white clip looks good in the second, but the black clip could be raised some more. The bookend of the tree at the left edge of the frame I find a bit distracting, I'd prefer to see a tiny bit of space to the left of the tree. Our eyes naturally cut off at background but wouldn't naturally cut off a tree, at least thats all my take on it. Good work Pete, did you get any with the lightning?

Thread Information