Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Beach Model 1

GB1

Beach Model 1

Definitely a running in the water theme here. Taken July 3rd in Solana Beach, CA: which one(s) work for you if any, and why?

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beach Model 1-dsc_2076_800.jpg   Beach Model 1-dsc_2066_800.jpg   Beach Model 1-dsc_2072_800.jpg   Beach Model 1-dsc_2060_bw_800.jpg   Beach Model 1-dsc_2059_800.jpg  

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Beach Model 1

They're all working pretty good GB, but 2,3 & 4 have the best light on the face. The fisherman one cracks me up - reminded me immediatedly of the "beached whale" shot I posted last fall, but I think yours is better (because he's closer). If I had to pick an overall favorite it would be #3 - great comp, great freeze of the water and hair, near perfect lighting.

I like #4. (wish it was colored too)
    in #4, legs are positioned right. (doesn't have that "cut off" illusion like 1 & 3)
    the fishermen added is also funny and adds humor and realism. (yes.... guys will be guys)
    lighting is perfect.

Agree with Phil. #4 for me.

They are all well-done, though.

Awesome series

Beautiful model
    The beach provides a great scenery
    Terrific light and colors
    really like the blurred backgrounds, but only a bit, it is still discernable what we're looking at.

#2 would be my pick even when she is squinting to the sun in her eyes
    Followed by #4, a great moment, the guy is in awe, and she has a look like "Yes ... I'm beautiful"

I do not think the B&W works in comparison to the others, also her hair is way different,
    probably if seen by itself it is also great, but as a prt of this set to me is at the bottom of the stack

I like her expression best in the last colour image (#5). She knows she is being eyed by the fisher guy and is enjoying it. The light is good on her face. The one distraction with this image is her left arm: I wish her elbow could be seen so it didn't look like her arm was coming out of her body. From a pure body form, #4 (B&W) and #2 look the best. I don't care much for the shadow across her face in the B&W but you could lighten that up. #2 is just a classic ala Bridget Bardot and others.

Definitely #4 with the second being #5. the others have her hair too poofed out and /or her bent leg looking like a stump.
    #2 is ok, but its not saying anything.

I too wish #4 was in color like the others, certainly the best and b&w really does not do anything for it.
    nice work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Guys - Thanks to all for your great viewpoints and observations.

Quick note - I had to do a little PP to these to warm them up, as the best time to shoot shots like this are ~ 1 hour before sunset and we started shooting 2 hrs before that. She also doesn't have a deep tan due to her Dutch ancestry.

This model is also a photographer - check out her site at ashleydejongphoto.com

Jet, thks and I definitely feel as you do that her face should be illuminated. It's tough because some of them are nice but the shadows across her face make them borderline. I have many others of her running in the water (most w/ the same predicament). I think # 3 has nice hair and exposure too, but her head up high like that isn't my favorite. It may also be too centered but I don't see moving her to one side making that much difference. Yeah - I see the fisherman as adding to the shot , immediately positioned myself to get him in there.

Phil, I'm posting # 4 color here. I don't even know why I chose that one for desaturation.. maybe her hair style looks vintage? Thks for pointing out the 'chopped' leg look; minor issue, but worth looking out for .

Dray, thks and where's your swimsuit model shots for the summer?

Armando, she does have the confident look which draws one in. # 2 is good but upon looking at it now, I think I should have left a tad more space above her head when cropping. Happy you think the amount of blur is correct. I almost never shoot too wide because the margin for error is nil. See the color one and let me know what you think.

Jeff, she looks younger in 5. Bridget Bardot? Yeah, maybe that's what it reminds me of. I was shooting her with two other photographers and this was one very experienced guy's idea. Even the twist of her upper body where her arms are thrown behind her is retro ! I agree about the shadow .. Tough to control given the lay of the land. I saw this when shooting btw and mentioned it, funny how the other photogs didn't seem to notice or really care (maybe they were too busy looking at her, not shadows.. lol).

Gary, that's funny because I though the full-mane hair look was more glamorous. But not to everyone I see. You're right, # 2 doesn't 'talk' to me as well. Anyway - see the color.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beach Model 1-dsc_2060_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

now that's cookin' !!!

reminds of that tv ad ... "Gee your hair smells terriffic " shampoo.

Yep, thats what i'm talkin bout. Looking good. the fisherman looking at her as she is struttin in such a way that we can feel she knows every eye on the beach is watchin her. . . very believable. Her posture and expression is one of confidence and power and the fisherman watching her just tops it off. Very nice.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information