Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

In The Barrell (sequence)

A local surfing spot which was pumping today after a fortnight of bad weather and storms..
    This is a sequence,,,same guy,,same wave..

Canon 20D/Canon 70-200 2.8L
    500th@f8.0
    200ISO

Jurgen
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In The Barrell (sequence)-img_1388.jpg   In The Barrell (sequence)-img_1389.jpg   In The Barrell (sequence)-img_1390.jpg  
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Seb

Re: In The Barrell (sequence)

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    A local surfing spot which was pumping today after a fortnight of bad weather and storms..
    This is a sequence,,,same guy,,same wave..

Canon 20D/Canon 70-200 2.8L
    500th@f8.0
    200ISO

Jurgen
    Australia
    Jurgen,

I like the first and third ones.

I guess that the third one fits the classical surfer kind of shot. The action is well captured. As for the third one, it is somewhat unusual (to me at least) but there is a strong graphic quality to it. The "shape" of the water the four "stripes" and the location of the surfer in the frame are most interesting.

The second shot feels too zoomed in for me. It lacks context so to speak.

regards

Seb

GB1

Yurgen - Pretty nice.. The bottom one is the best. You did a good job here but think you were somewhat limited from getting the best shot but the aperature you used... It would have been better at f 5.6 or f4.0. It would have blurred the background more, focusing attention on the surfer, and, allowed you to use a faster shutter to reduce blur. Alas, I assume that you didn't have that setting on your lens: those lenses are about 5 x more expensive Gotta make do with what we have, and this is a successful use of f8.0.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

these are great... the bottom one is my favorite... the middle one loses the surfer too much. Wonderful, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Jurgen,

I like the first and third ones.

I guess that the third one fits the classical surfer kind of shot. The action is well captured. As for the third one, it is somewhat unusual (to me at least) but there is a strong graphic quality to it. The "shape" of the water the four "stripes" and the location of the surfer in the frame are most interesting.

The second shot feels too zoomed in for me. It lacks context so to speak.

regards

Seb
    Hi Seb,,,,one has to remember the wave is moving towards me at a great rate of knots,,it is not zoomed although it has been cropped a bit..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Yurgen - Pretty nice.. The bottom one is the best. You did a good job here but think you were somewhat limited from getting the best shot but the aperature you used... It would have been better at f 5.6 or f4.0. It would have blurred the background more, focusing attention on the surfer, and, allowed you to use a faster shutter to reduce blur. Alas, I assume that you didn't have that setting on your lens: those lenses are about 5 x more expensive Gotta make do with what we have, and this is a successful use of f8.0.

GB
    GB,,,I used a 70-200mm f2.8....I needed a bit of DOF to cover any auto focus errors so I chose an aperture of f8.0...One has to remember these guys are moving really fast and the wave approaches quickly too..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

GB1

Yurgen - Hmmm, you must have gotten close to get that with a 200mm... Perhaps you shot it with a digital camera where you get a zoom effect from normal lenses? Either that or maybe you were up to your waist in water.

Try some shots at a wider aperature though.. I think they'd highlight the surfer better. But you might get a number of misses. might be better to try manual focus than auto.

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Yeah GB,,,,effectively I was shooting at 320mm and standing on a rock ledge...Luckily it was blowing off shore..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Yeah GB,,,,effectively I was shooting at 320mm and standing on a rock ledge...Luckily it was blowing off shore..
    Jurgen
    Australia
    Yeah, I was sort of wondering about that too, and how "sealed" your camera was from spray etc.

The third shot was great with both excellent timing and composition.

Ronnoco

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Jurgen, I love all 3 of these. Of course, in my day...I think this was called...Shootin' the curl...I really love the way you've captured the spray contrasting with the smoothness of the wall on the barrel. And of course, to capture the surfer inside the curl is always "gnarly" dude!!! haha...
    Of course, as already mentioned, a little faster setting would have prevented some of the motion blur, but all in all.....GREAT WORK!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Surfing photography got me into photography back in the dim dark early 70's...I had a misspent youth spending too much time at the beach..No regrets though...

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Thread Information