Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barn window (view from within)

Of course I had to get something from inside. . .
    What are your thoughts . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barn window (view from within)-20080626-7210-187.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Barn window (view from within)

I would expect nothing less, Gary!
    That old tire at the bottom adds a lot of flavor.
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

At first I thought that tyre was the top of an old fireplace. It's v good as per usual Gary and slips in nicely with all the other great "view from within" shots. I can just barely see some detail in the top LH corner(as I view). I also wonder what it would look like seeing all the tyre.
    You have set many great benchmarks for us to compare with so I would say this is as interesting as what as gone before without having the same impact as your best.
    Last edited by Overbeyond; 06-30-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

back from the dead here i am haha

amazing shot i love the composition on this one.
    black and white makes this photo pop!
    great work =)
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Ah Gary,

I knew it when I saw the barn door. How could you resist? I love this! Mostly because it makes me consider that the view you are showing us has been hanging there on that wall since the window was framed up. I can almost envision all of the changing light that has altered that scene every day since then.

Black and white prints always let my imagination run wild for the details. The details, inside and out are exquisite. The saw blade has terrific texture. You have certainly refined what you are looking for in this subject and although fewer and farther between are always heavy with intention and tone. A treat! Thanks for sharing Gary!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Well done Gary. Everything is well placed. I love B&W but I would love to see a trademark desaturated version with some slight coloring in the tree and barn across the way. Where was this taken?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for commenting John and saving this from falling into the deep abyss. lol

Tom, there is very slight detail in the upper LH corner just as you describe. I'm glad that you point those little things out as it lets me know your seeing this as I am. The two bottom corners next to the tire show no detail. I'm also glad to know you feel this goes with the series

Rylan, thanks for commenting. Happy to know you like the composition here. Much appreciated

Cindy. . .well, you sure have a way with words. . .I was happy basically with what I came away with here, but you have really sold me on it now lol. I would imagine the change in light of different times of day would be an interesting video clip run in fast motion from the view here.
    Thanks for your great words and sentiment.

Greg . .you just threw me back into a dilema. I had done exactly that in editing this when I first started working on it. I liked it alot with a slight desaturation and hint of color outside and on the wheels rim. I initially shot this with the intent to add it to my series, but the series is all b&w and I would not have one in color, so I just nixed the desat version.
    You now have me thinking about this again.
    I think I'll post the other version and see what the feelings are about it.
    Thanks much as always,

gary

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Great eye to see this, a wonderfully exposed composition full of texture, detail.I love this as B /W, the excellent DOF leads me out, back inside again.
    I initially...thought the tire was a saw blade myself, took a closer look.That tire is great,a strong anchor.Very nice Gary.
    Respect,

Rick

MB1

I'm thinking that this is going to print even better (with more shadow detail) than it looks on my monitor.

My only suggestion would be that perhaps a small crop from the top to bring even more attention to the lower part of the frame.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Rick, thanks for the good words. I do see that the tires treads make it look like a saw blade.

MB1, I think your right about the slight crop off the top. I think just enough to eliminate the white detail just under the top edge should work well.

gary

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

First, I love it. Second I like that the view is another barn! Great eye, great photo as usual

These are the kind of shots I want to take!
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    First, I love it. Second I like that the view is another barn! Great eye, great photo as usual

Lori, I had another composition in which I was down a bit lower and the cross beam was completely hiding the barn, but there was lots of sky. I liked it for other reasons, but I also like in this one that the barn is in view outside.
    thanks for the comment.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by danic
    These are the kind of shots I want to take!

You mean from inside looking out? The trickiest part to this is trying to expose the outside light and the inside ambient lighting with some balance. I always expose more for the highlights (outside light) because it's easier to bring out detail in the shadows than to try and recover detail in blown out highlights.
    If that particuliar lighting happens to be very extreme between in and out I will either wait for a more overcast day or a different time of day when lighting can be better balanced, or if I cannot get back readily to the location I will take seperate exposures and blend them in later. You will need tripod for this.

gary

Can I ask were about this photo was taken?

Can I ask were about this photo was taken?
    We were in Sussex New Jersey visiting a place called Space Farms. This is from inside an old barn that was nearby.

gary

Thanks! I saw you were from NY so I was wondering if it was Upstate

GB1

Hmmm.

Gary, I think this one is interesting but I also feel somewhat robbed. It seems so dark in many places that I can't really make out the details. It is much like happens in real life when you walk into a room with a bright window and you momentarily lose the ability to make out anything else in the (dark) room. I also think it would be better in a Sepia tone, to make it seem vintage - if you have this in color, try converting to that and see

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks! I saw you were from NY so I was wondering if it was Upstate
    I love upstate N.Y. I have some winter series from sullivan county, but plan on making the rounds up there for more old rustic type things, like this.
    btw, I like your Fur Babies Smugmug folio as well as the others. Your little Zeke is quite a ball of fire. Looks a bit like my newest "Iki'

gary

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Hmmm.

Gary, I think this one is interesting but I also feel somewhat robbed. It seems so dark in many places that I can't really make out the details. It is much like happens in real life when you walk into a room with a bright window and you momentarily lose the ability to make out anything else in the (dark) room. I also think it would be better in a Sepia tone, to make it seem vintage - if you have this in color, try converting to that and see

G

Thanks, GB, I appreciate the comments. The only areas with no detail at all are the two lower corners on either side of the tire. I agree about the warmer tone, although I'm no fan of sepia. The original version is warmer than what I'm seeing on this web version making the wood more apealing, IMO. Overall, it is dark I guess.
    Thanks for your observations.

gary

Thanks Gary! I have so much work to do on that site lol I really need my own I guess. Zeke is a mess alright, just turned a year old I to love Upstate NY I was there last year and fell in love with it I was around Waverly and the scenery was incredible!

Hi Gary, interesting textures and view. You could try a warmer tone with some hue/saturation adjustments on an inside layer. And maybe....just a tad contrast nip on an outside windows layer??
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Quote Originally Posted by jkriminger
    Hi Gary, interesting textures and view. You could try a warmer tone with some hue/saturation adjustments on an inside layer. And maybe....just a tad contrast nip on an outside windows layer??
    Your comments are much appreciated, Rod. GB1 brought up the warmer tone thing and i mentioned to him that the original file does have a warmer tone, but the web version lost it a bit. I too like the warmer feel.
    I take it you prefer less dof so as the outside would be faded and less prominent?

gary

no Gary, I meant to add some contrast to the outside view seperately, only slightly. to enhance and make a slightly more prominent view.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Quote Originally Posted by jkriminger
    no Gary, I meant to add some contrast to the outside view seperately, only slightly. to enhance and make a slightly more prominent view.
    Oh, Ok. I'm thinking it may lose it's feel of distance and deppth then. I'll experiment with that idea though and see what i feel about it,
    thanks, Rod

gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information