Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Ballerina

Ballerina

shot this yesterday at night..

expiremented with layers in photoshop, and got the crumpled paper effect. i like how it turned out. do you?

i can upload it without the effect too, if you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ballerina-posing_ballerina_rosa-v2.jpg  
    Last edited by hardmongo; 05-31-2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: forgot the image file

Photonerd

Re: Ballerina

i don't see a picture, i think you forgot to attach it.
    Feel free to edit/re-post my photos as you like

Nikon Samurai #28

and there it is!

Hiya hardmongo...I think this is a pretty cool effect. I like the tones in her arms and face...however, I think you should try this again, and have the model/ballerina do a more stereotypical pose. With it not being super clear what she's doing, she looks more awkward to me than anything. That's just my own opinion though...

Like I said, you got a cool effect going on anyhow!

Emily

How does the effect add to the image? What was your intent? Generally speaking, if an effect doesn't do something intentional to strengthen the communication of an image, it should probably be left off. Here, for example, you have two different things going on, a photo of a ballerina and a moody aged paper effect, but the two together don't seem to communicate anything. The mood created by the paper and toning is counteracted by the rather small and mundane image of the ballerina. If you rebalanced her composition, maybe added another element (shoes?) you could create something that feeds nostalgia or creates a different sort of mood. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you're on the right track, it just seems like the beginning..
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I think you have created something quiet original here Hardmongo and I think it is very nice indeed. It has some depth also, as if I was looking through a storm or stormy sea perhaps. The ballerina is almost apparition like.
    Very well done.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thread Information