Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Backlit Swamp

Backlit Swamp

Interesting shot from Louisana. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

PHL 4-6
    http://www.pbase.com/gammon

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    looks good to me.... my only suggestion is getting lower
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    looks good to me.... my only suggestion is getting lower
    Just to make sure I understand your comment. You want me to get into the swamp? With the gators and snakes? And mud?
    PHL 4-6

so you are saying you were hovering ..hehehe

i would guess that you had your feet on something solid in nature or you had a boat.
    so replace feet with knees(or bed at waist) or if boat get lower in that.

me personally, i raised poisonous snakes and a gator won't scare me much either.

both would rather go the other way .

quick story...

ding darling 2001, laying half in water with feet on dry ground, viewfinder goes dark, looking at a 16 ft american crocadile at 6 feet...... figures out i'm not a log and SPLASH...bye bye.. i keep shooting spoonbills from below their eye level........ isn't nature fun
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

ding darling 2001, laying half in water with feet on dry ground, viewfinder goes dark, looking at a 16 ft american crocadile at 6 feet...... figures out i'm not a log and SPLASH...bye bye.. i keep shooting spoonbills from below their eye level........ isn't nature fun

Similar Story. Ding Darling near swamp about 15 feet from a 20 foot aligator. Determined it was dead.
    PHL 4-6

should've grabbed some teeth for bragging rights
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Well, my first impression was that the swamp isn't really backlit, it just looks overcast. Backlighting would have created interesting shadows and I was sort of expecting that I guess.

The image could use more contrast, and maybe even a longer exposure to bring out some more detail in the foreground elements. The sky would have been blown no matter what, so that wouldn't have been a concern.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I like it but it needs more balance or movement through the frame or something. I've take a few like it and have the same problem.

Thread Information