Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Back from the war

Comments very welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from the war-back_from_war.jpg  

Re: Back from the war

It's a great shot. A very "real" picture that captures the emotions of the moment.

No way, He's to young to be back from any War. I hope he isn't going back. Great picture as well....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Good shot. It appears a little bluish on my monitor. I know the pants and overalls are blue, but even the window and windowpane appear a bit like that also.

Tell him welcome back!
    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Veggie~

I would recommend a contrast and brightness adjustment for this one. I also agree with GB that it appears to have a blue cast. You might also remedy this (if you have PS or PSE) by using a warming photo filter at about 15 - 20%. Possibly this could have more "oomph" as a black and white or sepia toned print.

The moment you have captured is very real while still being a great portrait. I love the way he is looking in wonder at his baby and I am shocked at how young he looks as well, maybe it's the haircut. Tell him welcome home from me too please and I hope he gets to stay here with his beautiful baby and is not shipped back out.

Regards,
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thanks every one for your comments!

Zac just came back from Iraq, and he is 19. The baby is mine not his, though Zac is my brother in law.

I don't have PS, but I used Aperture and GIMP, and tried what you recommended.
    What do you think?

As for the blue tint, well, it is the reflection from the blue sky! I was surprise that it was a distraction!! it was a beautifull day down in GA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from the war-warmer.jpg   Back from the war-sepia.jpg   Back from the war-b-w.jpg  

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Veggie - I think the first one is a dramatic improvement. I also like your black and white version although I would do a second contrast adjustment for that as well. The sepia toned one is coming off a little heavy on the yellow saturation, personal preference, I would lighten that significantly. All in all, though, a big improvement and mostly importantly you tried. Wether it suits you or not, you looked to see if it would work. Now it's up to you of course, to decide what works best for your presentation. Nice work.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thread Information