Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Which avatar?

Which avatar?

I have so many web sites nowadays:

- professional to promote my work and hold my CV
    - semi-professional with the places I've been, people I've met
    - FaceBook
    - my web site (actually used for Salsa demos)
    - my anonymous web site to show photos (book.fr)
    - private photo sharing
    - place to meet women
    - here. Almost forgot

Nobody seems to be able to do a good portrait of me. I've been reduced to doing it myself. Here are some of the results. Which picture would you use for which site? Should I keep on going? It's actually quite fun sitting here pulling faces in the mirror but I need to convert my apartment back into a place to live rather than a photo studio..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which avatar?-4203-001.jpg   Which avatar?-4203-003.jpg   Which avatar?-4204-008.jpg   Which avatar?-4204-014.jpg   Which avatar?-4203-024.jpg  

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Which avatar?

#1 - professional to promote my work and hold my CV
    #3 or 14 - semi-professional with the places I've been, people I've met
    #8 - FaceBook
    #8 or 24 - my web site (actually used for Salsa demos)
    Wouldn't be anonymous if you posted your picture, now would it?- my anonymous web site to show photos (book.fr)
    #14- private photo sharing
    I'll let the women on the forum address this one - place to meet women
    Any one of them - here. Almost forgot

This is a tough call...they all look good. I think for the "woman" vote I will have to go with 24. Now to really get into this contest I would need to have them retaken in about a month or so with the addition of facial hair.

A beard?

Quote Originally Posted by dana m.
    This is a tough call...they all look good. I think for the "woman" vote I will have to go with 24. Now to really get into this contest I would need to have them retaken in about a month or so with the addition of facial hair.
    A beard? What a wonderful idea. That's what I need to make me look my age (57 years old). But not just yet. It would be rather a surprise for my friends.

Explanation for the "Anonymous web site with photo". It's to avoid burglars. I go out to Technoparade and stuff with lots of impressive material, do pictures of the kids from the "problem areas", let them have access to the pictures - without actually giving them my real name and address.

Thanks for the feedback. It's very useful.
    Charles

#1 for the more business side and #14 for the more casual, women meeting stuff. IMPO, I feel 14 is very inviting and approachable. While 24 is a nice and fun shot, it looks like the next thing you might say is "Now, now..." Hehe...all very sharp pictures BTW.

And what's wrong with your house looking like a studio? Maybe that's what my roommate was complaining about the other day??
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

nice shots, would you mind showing us your lighting/"studio" set up?

zen

14,...very zen master-ish. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by caleb
    nice shots, would you mind showing us your lighting/"studio" set up?
    Here we go. First picture gives you the general idea, from front to back:

1. MIrror so I can see myself. Also holds pictures of various women so I imagine I'm looking into their eyes, sending messages
    2. Left-hand side Monolite with a big silver Lastolite brolly. I prefer a softbox but it takes too long to set up
    3. Tripod marks the camera position (hardly visible)
    4. Chair for the subject
    5. Right-hand side up on the Ikea modules, two Jessops 336VM units, one with a snoot to light the background and one with a barndoors to light the hair. Ther was actually too much light on the face - gave me a red ear. The 336VM units have the enormous advantage of being small enough to leave in place all the time
    6. Roll of grey background paper on a sturdy wooden pole that I just roll up when I don't need it

Second picture is a detail of the 336VM units.

Note that the only furniture is almost flat and can be leant against the left-hand wall quickly. If I'm expecting guests then I shift some more classic furniture in from the next room, but with the room almost empty I can be ready for a studio shoot in 5 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which avatar?-d20_9514.jpg   Which avatar?-d20_9515.jpg  
    Charles

Thread Information