Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Autumn Fantastikal

Heres a shot from a local rennisance fair. What do you think? You are welcome to make any changes.

Nikon D80
    Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED
    Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Re: Autumn Fantastikal

Nice angle unclebuck.The models candid stare off center is excellent as are the super saturated colors which work in this instance.Maybe a slight sharpening? Did you unsharp mask before posting for web? Though being a female...soft is good. :O)
    I can't think of any critique other than that. Nice to see you working that D80 (which by the way is known for its soft character)You can shoot in custom mode, set sharpness to high Welcome to PR.

With regards,

Rick

MB1

I think that overall the image is a tad underexposed. I also feel you aimed the camera a little high-the frame space above her hair is wasted, you might as well crop it off.

Still, this is being pretty picky about a very nice image.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Very interesting. I don't see it underexposed at all but I do think that there's a wide range of tonal areas here that makes it unusual. It sort of jumps out at you (a good thing). It's mostly about her outfit of course, I wish she was doing something funny too, like smoking a cigarette

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

This is a lovely portrait of an interesting subject, mainly because of her pose, and costume. I like the perspective of this. I agree it looks to be under exposed some, maybe 1/2 stop or so. Increasing the levels some will bring up more.
    A crop into an 8x10 format by removing some off the top will fill her nicely in the frame.
    You can think about adding a little more vibrancey to get the colors to pop more, but I like the muted style of this to go along with the classic and old world feel.
    nice.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 09-22-2008 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. September 22, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I've looked at this several times but having no expertise at portrait or lighting have not commented.
    The only thing I would say is I'd like less at top and a bit more space at bottom so the edge of her bodice was not so close to the frame.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Dang man - what did you do - close your eyes when you took this shot ???? HAHAHA Congrats on the featured photo dude!!!
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Congratulations on your sticky...Liked this from the start. :O)

Rick

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Beautiful colors and subject. I think overall this carries some great mood and that means a lot in an image. But I have to think I would have liked this more if her hair wreath had been allowed to run up into the corners of the frame and with more room left at the bottom for a little more of her costume to show. As a fix I would suggest cropping the dead space over her head. Congratulations on the sticky.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Wonderful capture. I could imagine that the picture worked even better with an even more shallow DOF. If the eyes were sharper and the top and bottom parts a bit blurrier, this shot could be a bit more magical. But I'd be proud of it, as it is.
    Aziz! More Light!!

WOW!!!!!! What an honor to be chosen for a feature! I honestly don't know what to say other than WOW!!! I am a very amateur hobbyist at the very least and to be chosen over all the great photos that are on here is a great honor. For a little bit about me before I respond to all the comments I truly do not do much editing to any of my images. I add a little contrast maybe adjust the exposure but that’s really about it.

Starriderick I did not sharpen anything in the image. I thank you for your honesty and sincerity.

MB1 If I bump up the exposure the area around her lips gets blown out. I agree about the crop. This shot was taken in full sunlight so the reflection on her paint appears to wash out in areas.

GB1 It is all about the outfit. Sure. These Fairies wander around and interact with the crowd by usually not interacting. It is truly an art. She did interact with my toddler son and I will say this If she touched me in the way she touched him I would never leave her side. She touched and teased in a soft slow so sensual way without being sensual. If that makes sense. You had to be there I guess.

GahspidyWhen I attempt to bring the colors out more, the contrasts from all the colors kind of blends together and really becomes unattractive. Maybe it’s my lack of knowledge on doing so.

Ben You suck in so many ways! I don’t have enough time to list them all! Just kidding you know I love you! (FYI Ben and I are in the same camera club)

Nikon D80
    Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED
    Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF

UB, when I view this now, it looks just right. . .saturated quite enough. Not sure why I felt at first it could use more, as it seems to me now to be very saturated. It certainly looks great and an image to be proud of.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information