Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Atomic Rain Cloud

This is a shot my husband took while he was in the passenger seat of his friends truck.....they were actually driving down the road when he took this. He asked me if I would post it on here so he could see what you all thought of it.....and I would like to know too.
    Although I am the "photographer" in the family, since he has gotten his new camera, he has been on a shooting spree lately!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Atomic Rain Cloud-atomic-rain-cloudcomp.jpg  
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Atomic Rain Cloud

Beautiful!
    You're not the only Photographer in the family anymore. I like everything about it except the road. The fence in the foreground is a good element as well as the distant farm buildings, giving the whole shot a sense of scale that would be absent without them. Tell him it's OK to ask his friend to stop so he can walk across the road to take a picture that is this good.
    ----------------------------

He will be happy to hear that. He sees the critique on here frequently but has not posted anything of his own yet.....until this. I will have to show this to him and I have no doubt he will be getting his own screen name and posting more!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Nice!!! The color of the sky behind the cloud is great. I'm in agreement with Chunk about the road...I think though, it would work better with either more or less of it in the shot...or coming from a slightly different angle. But when you're driving down the road, what can ya do, right??

Tell him good job.

Emily

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Wow. I wouldn't want to be standing in the middle of that!

You know, the weather channel.com often puts pictures of "weather" up on their home page. I bet if he submitted this he might see it online! (just read the fine print first)

As for critique, I also agree that less or no road would be nice. But it is not terrible the way it is. Tell him also he did a nice job framing it!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Remarkable and awesome photo.

Thank you everyone! He will be back tonight and I will make sure to show him all your wonderful comments!
    There actually was more road in the original shot but it seemed to take away from the cloud, so I cropped it. However, other then removing a few smudges and a VERY slight contrast boost, everything else is as he took it........I think he is going to be taking over my business if this keeps up! LOL
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Pentax Forum Moderator

Wonderful capture. As a "road" photographer myself, I understand how hard it is to get "just the right shot". Sometimes, you have to take what you get, and this one is a great one, especially considering how he got it. I would love to see more of his photography so tell him to jump in with both feet. We'll catch him and support him!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I will do that! He is going to be gloating like crazy that he has gotten better reviews then ANY of my pictures! LOL I think he deserves it though, This is one of my favorite pictures that he has taken, but I will see if he will post some of his others.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

My husband says thank you to all the wonderful comments. He said that they were on a highway doing about 60 mph! He used my old Konica Minolta A2 for this picture. He is actually very excited about getting his own name and posting pics!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Hi CCC,

That is quite an AWESOME cloud!! Looks like I wouldn't want to get too close to that.

It may be my monitor, but the image seems to have a slight blue cast to it. You may want to do a white-balance check on it (if you have software that can do it). Choose a white selection in the cloud and make sure that it is color neutral (RGB values all about the same).

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information