Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

another scottish landscape..

intended for larger viewing but i quite like it.. full frame image..

trog

Re: another scottish landscape..

So what do you want? the truth or the white lies?

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

the truth but with great tact and diplomacy.. he he

i am never sure that what i like is in tune with what others like.. would u pay money for it printed A3 size to hang on your wall for example.. he he

or would anybody ????

trog

For some reason this frustrates me. I want to take a few steps forward so I can get a better view of the hill in the background.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

ah.. when its presented larger u feel u are doing.. or when seen hung on a wall u do exactly that.. u step forward for a closer look..

the fact u feel the need to look closer is a good sign i think..

i aways take few a frames i have some zoomed in a little nearer the gap in the trees..

trog

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

I feel the same about wanting to step closer - the trees are a little too prominent and thus, frustrating.
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

I agree with the others, I would like to see the beauty of the mountain and not the limbs.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

an alternative view..i have some with more rocks in the foreground some with less.. i have posted this one because it gives the best view of the far side of the lake.. i think more rocks look better thow.. the more rocks pics would have been taken knelt down..

trog

You played with mine I thought I would return the favor. What do you think of the changes?
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another scottish landscape..-trog-copy.jpg  
    Last edited by Greg McCary; 01-29-2007 at 06:26 PM.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

the problem i have with the first one is the lack of detail in the tree limbs. since they are blocking the mountain/hill they became the subject, and to lack detail in your subject, well lets just say its a big no-no. the second shot has decent composition, but it really suffers from a flat colorless sky. it would benefit from more vibrancy.
    I don't want it, I just need it...to breath ...to feel ...to know I'm alive.

too much.. i dont think it would pass muster seem 100% size either..

they are winter pictures poor light and relatively dull.. trying to make a summer time picture kinda ruins my intended winter time effect..

somehow they have to look natural.. your edit certainly gives the image more "pop".. but the end result is an image that looks over proccessed.. more so seen larger..

one thing is becoming clear to me.. the smaller the image the more "pop" it seems to need..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by afdlips
    the problem i have with the first one is the lack of detail in the tree limbs. since they are blocking the mountain/hill they became the subject, and to lack detail in your subject, well lets just say its a big no-no. the second shot has decent composition, but it really suffers from a flat colorless sky. it would benefit from more vibrancy.
    Actually a tree limb is the standard method of framing a landscape scene, creating a little foreground and giving the shot more depth, even if it is a silhouette.

The first one is better than the second in composition, but you are right about the sky. A software polarizing filter and adding some sunshine to the mountain would give it a little more punch. It can be done in postprocessing.

Ronnoco

winter time dull.. summer time bright.. the lens had a cokin grad on to stop sky burn out.. course the bottom line here might be only do your landscapes on a bright summers day.. he he

how do i take a dull picture of a dull winters day without everyone saying it needs to look like a bright sunny summer one.. i have tried to aim for a compromise but probably trying to do the impossible..

kodak colour wins the day.. he he

thnks for your comments and insight guys..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    winter time dull.. summer time bright.. the lens had a cokin grad on to stop sky burn out.. course the bottom line here might be only do your landscapes on a bright summers day.. he he

how do i take a dull picture of a dull winters day without everyone saying it needs to look like a bright sunny summer one.. i have tried to aim for a compromise but probably trying to do the impossible..
    trog
    I said sun, not summer, trog. Winter days might be dull, but what photographer wants his_her shot to be equally dull.

If you look at the colour temperature of many winter shots, you will find that they are on the cool side of even normal colour balance. Selectively adding more sun to your centre of interest area creates more impact by separating it from the background through light and a slightly warmer colour. The best thing about the concept is it still looks natural.

Ronnoco

Skys in the Southeast US are brighter and more blue in the winter, crisp and clear. Summertime skys are hazy and smoggy, and not much to take a picture of. Kodak film is slightly desaturated anyway. You might have gotten a much different result with Fuji.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Skys in the Southeast US are brighter and more blue in the winter, crisp and clear. Summertime skys are hazy and smoggy, and not much to take a picture of. Kodak film is slightly desaturated anyway. You might have gotten a much different result with Fuji.
    Greg
    Oops! I am thinking digital.

Ronnoco

Sorry Ron I should have posted in quote. Trog is the one that mentoned Kodak.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

kodak colour moved on to kodak digitals even thow it started life as film.. the pros hated it.. the public loved it..

its just a term i use to mean larger than life colour.. dont get me wrong i like it but found it ruined my attempts at scotland in the winter pics..

but the thing that folks go for is vibrancy nice colours and "pop".. so damp dull pale sky scottish weather was a major problem.. it needed a cokin grad just to keep any sky at all in most of them..

perfect skies just a dream.. and mountains covered in white snow just end up looking like big white blobs.. a light covering on the top seems to work but too much.. large white featureless blobs.. he he

looks nice to the naked eye but a disaster when u try and take a picture of it..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by trog100

kodak colour wins the day.. he he

thnks for your comments and insight guys..

trog
    You can try sunrise or sunset can't you?
    Or does the hill face the wrong side or something.
    Louis An Photography

--Canon Rebel XTi
    --18-55 mm EF
    --75-300 mm EF
    --10-17 mm fisheye
    --Adobe Photoshop CS3
    --Photomatix Pro

"You can try sunrise or sunset can't you?
    Or does the hill face the wrong side or something."

we are in esence drive-by landscape shooters.. tour beautifully scenery see something nice stop if possible take some pictures then move on..

the time of day.. sun position and pretty much everything else come as they come.. in scotland the weather can change from minute to minute.. a lot of pot luck in is iinvolved but u do get some very nice shots and a few disapointments.. the last shot posted being an example of the less than expected type of shot.. what looks like a grand vista to the naked turns into a poor photo.. a different time of day or different time of year and it would be a good one.. i dont think we had one sunset out the entire week..

trog

Thread Information