Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Anole with Water Drop

I wasn’t sure about the composition in this one. I didn’t want it to be too boring but I couldn’t find a really comfortable crop with the leaves that the anole is on.

Camera = Digital Rebel
    Lens = EF 400mm f/2.8L IS with EF 1.4x II TC
    A = f/4
    SS = 1/200Sec
    ISO = 200

I would love to hear any comments or suggestions.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anole with Water Drop-img_3532-600.jpg  

Another good catch

Another good catch. I like the way your Rebel DSLR is recording the colors in these photos. I like your compositon the the way the green blades of grass frame the main subject. I would suggest a little tighter crop on the left to eliminate the dark left lower corner while retaining the green diagonal blade on the left. My biggest nit on this image is the depth of field. I would have like to see the whole body in sharper detail. Were you using a tripod could you have used smaller aperture setting?

Yes, this is a good image. I agree with Oldtimers comments about slightly tighter crop from left and would have been nice with a bit more dof. Good one.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Actually, the composition makes good use of diagonals and considering the 400mm 2.8, I am impressed at the crisp sharpness in the area around the eye. It might have been nice if the sharpness had extended to more of the body...but there are limitations when you are shooting animals. It is still effective.

Ronnoco.

Good just how it is - the diagonal lines add to the composition. They don't jump out (which would take away from the subject) because they're the same color as the background, and the short DOF works well here. Usually I don't like out of focus foregrounds, but this time I do. Good work.

Talking I like it........

I think this is a good picture just they way it is, well done. I justify it this way, the diagonals could be distracting, as well as the dark corner, but the depth of field or lack of it has saved this photo. The eye is sharply focused, so the out of focus leads your eye directly to the animals eye which becomes the focal point & you get to see more habitat of the animal which adds interest. I like it.
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful replies.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by dadas115
    I wasn’t sure about the composition in this one. I didn’t want it to be too boring but I couldn’t find a really comfortable crop with the leaves that the anole is on.

Camera = Digital Rebel
    Lens = EF 400mm f/2.8L IS with EF 1.4x II TC
    A = f/4
    SS = 1/200Sec
    ISO = 200

I would love to hear any comments or suggestions.

Greg
    Like it. I've shot these litle lizards many times - in fact, my "avatar" is an anole. It's hard to get a shot this clear. Good job.

Thanks for your kind words, here is another recent anole pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anole with Water Drop-img_5985-600.jpg  

Thread Information