Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Amateur looking for feedback

*posted these in the viewfinder section but didn't get many replies, perhaps that was the wrong forum, will try posting here*

So these are basically the first shots I've taken w/ my new (used) Nikon D80. I used a 50MM lens, basically just looking for some general feedback anything that looks good or what I could have done different to make it look better.

The 5th picture is actually from my point and shoot Canon SD100, using the Digital Macro setting.

The subject is my foster pug, I volunteer for a pug rescue and she is my current charge. I plan on shooting a lot of dogs and am wondering if the 50MM is the right kind of lens.

I am here to learn so thanks for any feedback you can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amateur looking for feedback-plumnikonpics1.jpg   Amateur looking for feedback-plumnikonpics2.jpg   Amateur looking for feedback-plumnikonpics3.jpg   Amateur looking for feedback-plumnikonpics4.jpg   Amateur looking for feedback-plummacro2.jpg  

Nikon D-80 10.2 MP
    Tamron 28-80mm 35-56
    AF Nikon 50mm 1:1.8D
    Tamron AF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 Tele-macro (1:2)
    Dig high def 0.5xwide angle lens w/macro
    528 AF/NIK Speedlite flash
    1 small tripod
    Adobe Photoshop CS4

Re: Amateur looking for feedback

First shot is my favorite. Third shot is kinda cool but I'd crop out much of that white/red/blue/green on the left. Forth shot is a great pose but the catchlights in the eyes are a little funky. Fifth shot is also a great pose, but you need to increase the f/stop so the eyes are also in focus.

I like the first one the best, I think having some color in there adds a lot. I also like #4.
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

GB1

Hi Photo Girl,

Yes, you will probably get more critique here than in the Viewfinder. We take off our critical hats when in that forum. Looks like you have good equipment. Your model is also more than sufficient . What I immediately see in your photos is your shallow depth of field (DOF), which you probably used to draw attention to the puppy. This is a good thing. But I think that it is too shallow because his rear eyes are fading out of focus. Does the D80 have a DOF preview button? Probably not (they are slowly fading out on many cameras), but you should find a way to estimate the DOF based on your selected aperture and focal length: here the shots look like they were shot almost wide open and I think you need to use at least f 5.6 (that's just a guess).

I really like the third shot, though his left eye (on our right) is a bit soft. A good rule of thumb is that even if you want the rest of the subject to be blurry, for artistic reasons or whatever, always get the eyes sharp.

Also, I like your choice of black background. It seems the most effective.

Welcome to the Forums

Gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Great subject.

Thoughts:

-Move your flash off-camera via remote cord.

or

-Get an SB-600, 800, or 900 speedlite and move the flash off-camera via Nikon CLS system

-Put some kind of modifier on it (Lumiquest makes some good cheap ones, like the Softbox III)

-Dial down the flash exposure compensation to -⅓ - -½

-Put a CTO gel on the flash to warm up the light

-If the background is interesting, crank down the shutter speed to get more ambient light in there

-Try shooting in Aperture Priority mode

-ALWAYS focus on the eyes. Nikon has a much better autofocus system then does Canon, so you're in luck there.

Sounds like a lot, but some or all of the above will improve things immeasurably.

As the others have said you have some nice shots.

You need to watch your focus point is on the eyes, and if it proves difficult set the focusing to manual, especially for that last shot.

The DOF is very shallow and so you need to set your apature at at least F5.6 or higher which may mean needing more lights.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the first because his eyes are sharper...only rule I've never found an exception to is focus on the eyes. Use spot focus if you have to and then compose.
    I also like the first because no part of his face/head is cut off.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

First shot is best because the eyes are in focus. I'm guessing you shot at F1.8 which is probably why the depth of field is so limited. You might be better at a slightly higher F-stop with a flash or by shooting in better ambient light. If you shoot in RAW you can use the software that came with the camera to "warm up" the subject with Cloudy setting. Like Frog said, the eyes in focus are the key. I also like it if the eyes are generally looking at the camera, so holding toy up might help.

As for you question on the 50mm lens. It is a fantastic portrait lens for the most part. I love mine. Do a search on the site, but there is one thread that has dozens and dozens of shots from people using the same or similar lenses. It's a very fun lens to use.

Hello,

Cute shots!! I like your subject matter!!

I have to say the first thing I notice is the lighting. I'm new as well but a friend lent me this book and I've found it really useful it's "Beginner's Guide to Photographic Lighting: Techniques for Success in the Studio or on Location by Don Marr."
    I'm still working through it myself but it's been really helpful. It seems like if you understand lighting any shot can be a great shot!
    huatulco hotels, Mexico Vacations

trigger happy geriatric.

nice shots. No 1 is great. I'm not a fan of pugs, but I do love dogs, so its great to see your foster pups.

#i hope they find a good home as a result of all your care.

Dave

Cute little guy. I think you have some good tips here already. I like the first best. That is a fine lens for what you are doing. If you can, try not to use flash but rather have the dog near a window light and bump your iso up to at least 400-800. Your fast lens should be able to get some good shutter speed for you.
    If you have to use flash, remove it from the camera and follow drays advice. I'm not sure about your particular flash head, but if it swivels you can leave it on camera and just bounce the flash off a wall. Thats how i usually shoot photos of my cats when i need flash.
    Looking forward to seeing more and more dogs!
    Good luck to this little guy and hope he finds a good home.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information