Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Am I Deluded?

Am I Deluded?

I'm kinda biased about the subject. And capturing her in motion like this is next to impossible, I'm finding. But I think this is pretty swell. Am I wrong? Give it to me straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I Deluded?-_mg_5436.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Am I Deluded?

Only because the two of you are in that snow stuff. Nice shot, the biker is a little distracting, but pretty cool overall.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

This is one of those priceless photos that packages frozen time. Memorable!

John, although it is a "motion" shot, the moment of capture does not really give me the feel or look of much motion. If the legs were outstretched, tongue hanging out, etc, it would be more of an effective motion shot. Although I can guess the dog is running, it just looks like paws off the ground. The person on the right side is very distracting to the overall image as well. I think it is a cool enough shot to hang onto though. Just my thoughts.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm kinda biased about the subject. And capturing her in motion like this is next to impossible, I'm finding. But I think this is pretty swell. Am I wrong? Give it to me straight.
    I think it's a great action shot!

I have seen plenty like it in pulications. For technical merit it lacks certain qualities one would look for, but that is not always what is impotant.

It's perfect as it is.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Yes you are!!!!! hahahaha.....actually i dont see why??

I mean this is an image for you...right? it is not what one would consider, a dog-book photo... but it is "real"....

Somehow i don't think you took just one image of a running dog..... are there others where the person on the right is less shown? or maybe even completely out of the frame?

I find him/her distracting, and maybe even feels like a mistake (sorry...i am not trying to be harsh here.....)

But if i am to focus on the dog alone, then pending the other shots, and their forcus, i would agree with Gary that the paws could be in a better place to express motion...maybe extended..

That's my own little humble opinion!
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

John,

The snow being kicked up gives away the movement and the paws in the air. Nice capture concidering I know how hard it is to catch pets on the move. Still waiting for a Meggie shot I like.

I think the others already stated the photog stuff.

Definatley a keeper.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

this is a great picture your pretty lucky to et this one. its prefrect all her legs are off the ground her face and body are nice and clear and you have some snow dust thats comming off her back legs its a great shot

jay
    J.Curreri

John,

I am not sure I like the person on the right side, but the dog is perfect. All four feet off the ground, the bright sunshine captured so well. I like it overall.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

its an amusing looking dog which at first glance looks like its flying.. the person at the side would be better off not being there but life is never perfect.. its a nice "capture the moment shot"..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    For technical merit it lacks certain qualities one would look for...
    What technical merits? Please be specific. Not letting you off the hook just because you like it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I actually don't mind the person too much...it looks like they're holding a leash, so it kind of gives a little context to the photo for me. I think you've captured the action nicely, as someone else said...you can see the snow kicked up behind the dog. I think the one thing I'd change here is getting in a smidgen closer...I'd probably crop it in just a tad, but that's just me.

Emily

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

John, to me that person is overpowering. I think the whole story is right there in the small area around the pooch.

Still I think it's a good capture. I might suggest a tight crop starting at the bend in the path and ending diagonally down just prior to where the person is standing. Would leave your dog in a good position leading the path.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    An interesting shot with some impact but serious weaknesses which include the distraction of the person on the right side, the darkness and lack of detail on the top of the dog and particularly around the eyes as well as the down angle of the shot.

Based on your evaluation of shots, it works out to 6 out of 10, so yes you are somewhat biased and personal in your judgement in this case. As long as you recognize it, enjoy the photo. I think my dog is great too.

Ronnoco

GB1

Great freeze frame here John. It's a bit scary, maybe not to you since he's yours and you know he won't bite ya, but to someone else --- wooooah! Too bad the person is in the photo too, it's a tad distracting. But it's still great. The exposure and colors are very good.

Gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

There is alot going on in this image.I like the setting,the shadows, lighting is super.The "krystal" snow.Lelia is on full afterburner here.The way her paws are meeting is full on torque.I like how she shows her teeth{determined pooch}I can feel her enthusisum. I'm not an expert in critique,but the person standing here gives the viewer a feel that she has been called "here girl" , it's on.
    I also think a version without the person would really place the focus on the beauty in the image.That's my two cents.
    Nice capture.

She is a sweet dog, hard to take a bad pic.of anything she does. "I'm kinda biased about the subject. "
    Rick

MB1

Good stuff (but you know that).

I would like the image even more if is was cropped square removing everything from the top of the image.

That way you would have more emphasis on the dog running at the camera plus the person on the right would be a lot less distracting because the yellow jacket would no longer show.

I think the color and contrast are perfect for a snowy landscape and I think the persons leg (you?) helps frame the image and put the dog in context as "play" rather than "attack".

Thread Information