Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

Almost symmetrical

Obviously, Time Square...

comments are welcome

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

drg

Re: Almost symmetrical

Another winner! How fortunate can you be too have so little traffic to shoot against. I'm not used to seeing this with virtually only pedestrians unless TS is closed for a special event. I like this one a lot.
    With the symmetry of the pedestrians, the trash bins, the street lights and the balancing of the advertisements your design of this photo really comes off well, wow.
    -CDP

I agree with there being very little traffic and activity going on here. Must have been early. I like your composition, but I am not crazy about the traffic lights in there and pole. Just me, I guess. I think that standing right beyond the post would have made a cleaner comp that I personally might have liked better. But, I still feel this is a good piece. Seems you spent much time on Broadway while there ;)
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I actually enjoy the pole there. It adds another subject for depth, and I think works well. I love how it looks, and the busyness doesn't bother me at all!

Nice shot!

I hate to say this, but I have seen times square so much as of late that it's just become rather boring, but this image has an interesting take on the theme with the bisection if the scene by virtue of that light post. This is going to sound dumb, but it's very symmetrical in an asymmetrical way. I would darken it slightly and kick up the saturation by maybe +11 points. i think that might bring the blue in the sky out a lil bit more. Also I would like to see this in B&W as well.

Here it is with those changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Almost symmetrical-_dsc0038-rework-.jpg  
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Obviously, Time Square...

comments are welcome

Seb
    Thanks guy's

DRG: This was shot on a saturday morning arround 10am. Clearly, the place is usually much, much, much more crowded than that most of the time.

Gary: I found the post to add an extra element of symmetry but I also see your point. Since the post is in the extreme foreground, it may look overwhelming to some. Thanks for voicing your concern.

Jar_e: Thanks for commenting.

Almo: I know that TimeSquare is a subject beaten to death. Symmetrical in an asymmetrical way is exactly how I feel about this scene. I almost called the picture like this, no kidding! No offense, but I have some difficulty to see the changes that you have made to the picture. It seems to me that your take have a very slight yellow cast to it but that is all I see. Have you actually darkened the entire frame? If so, how did you do it (slight burning, brightness turned down, something else??).

Regards

Seb

edit for Almo: I do perceive your darkening now. The effect is very subtle though.

Thanks guy's

Almo: I know that TimeSquare is a subject beaten to death. Symmetrical in an asymmetrical way is exactly how I feel about this scene. I almost called the picture like this, no kidding! No offense, but I have some difficulty to see the changes that you have made to the picture. It seems to me that your take have a very slight yellow cast to it but that is all I see. Have you actually darkened the entire frame? If so, how did you do it (slight burning, brightness turned down, something else??).

Regards

Seb

edit for Almo: I do perceive your darkening now. The effect is very subtle though.
    I did not mean to acyually "darken" the picture. I only back it off by -4 points. It was not meant to show really, just to keep the higlights from blowing out when I upped the saturation, which is where the yellow you see probibly comes from. It did have the efect i was after in slightly bringing out the blue in the sky, but not by a whole lot. It was meant to be subtle.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    I did not mean to acyually "darken" the picture. I only back it off by -4 points. It was not meant to show really, just to keep the higlights from blowing out when I upped the saturation, which is where the yellow you see probibly comes from. It did have the efect i was after in slightly bringing out the blue in the sky, but not by a whole lot. It was meant to be subtle.
    I must say that I have a better appreciation of what you did now that you clearly explained the whole thing. I guess that the next logical step would be to slightly desaturate the yellow channel to get back to a truer white. Here is my take on your take: -10 points of yellow saturation.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

I must say that I have a better appreciation of what you did now that you clearly explained the whole thing. I guess that the next logical step would be to slightly desaturate the yellow channel to get back to a truer white. Here is my take on your take: -10 points of yellow saturation.

Seb

I admit I didn't really see the yellow cast you were talking about, but now that i see yours it does kinda stand out.

Nice!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information