Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

After a Long Day at Work.

Drove by this scene this evening and couldn't resist...

I know it's generally a no-no to post multiple images here in Critique but I think both are similar enough for me not to start two threads.

So tell me, are these too often done? I don't know. I suppose I should study more work done by others.

thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After a Long Day at Work.-01-26-07-equipment-1.jpg   After a Long Day at Work.-01-26-07-equipment-2.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: After a Long Day at Work.

Ah, shoot. I was hoping for more paint pictures. I like image 1, from top down. I like the sunburst, the perfect rays really make the image. I also like the texture of the ground against the snow. The lens flare works well here also. Maybe a bit dark, but that works well with the silhouette of the heavy equipment. Nice shot overall, I think.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Nice shots... I really like the first one, specially that the flare seems to be pointing towards the shapes rather than distract....

Now if you'll excuse me, i will ramble on as to what i imagined when i saw it: "Two famous machines, in love, dancing the tango by sunset, unaware of a paparazzo hiding behind the hill, waiting for the shot that will give him fame and fortune"

As for the second, the only issue i have is with the tracks on the snow, to the left... that took it away for me.... otherwise it is quite a nice shot!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Both good, but the first is stronger. The strong silhouettes of the heavy machinery and the starry sun looks like a spark between the meeting of the two.Great warmth. I like the detail evident in the fg areas, but I'm not sure the lens flare in the lower left corner is actually hurting the image a bit. Great lighting and good compositions
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

very nice.. too nice in fact which leaves me to think the perfectly postitioned sun might have been added afterwards..

i dont supose it has and its sad that i think this way when i see something that looks a little too good in a surrealistic kinda way..

trog

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Thanks, guys, for your assessment!

Coastal Flyer: I appreciate your comments. It is always a hit or miss affair with lens flare. I couldn't see my LCD because it was so bright but I figured I would shoot a lot of different angles to get different flare shapes/positions. (btw, I'm still thinking of different ways to use paint )

Marc: LOL. Actually I felt the opposite at the time - driving by, these two looked cold and lonely (sad actually). Like thrown out toys. Thanks for your view about the flare. I agree with you about the tracks in the 2nd.

Gary: Thanks for input! The "spark" idea was what I was trying to convey. I'm on the fence about the flare on the first one. I feel there needs to some in the lower left corner, but I don't particularly like the shapes of the flare that I got. Thanks again.

Trog: Thanks - I'll take that as a compliment All real (I'm not that good at PS). But I do know what you're talking about. I went to a local "showing" by a "photographer" who had these striking B&W images of wolves in front of slightly better-than-average background mountain scenes. But upon closer observation, the wolf is the same one in the same pose in every shot (just flipped horizontally as needed). And the lighting was different compared to the background scene

Thanks all.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

You don't have enough detail in the foreground of either image. A graduated neutral density filter for the first and a different angle and filtered fill flash might have been better for the second.

Ronnoco

Thread Information