Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Above Capri

Above Capri

I went hiking in Capri, Italy this summer and got a little lost. As I wondered through the forest on top of a mountain I came across a cliff with an impressive view just as the sun went down. Let me know what you think. :smile:

Blue Capri by N+C Photo, on Flickr
    Visit me and see more of my photos
    facebook - Flickr - T w i t t e r

Re: Above Capri

Great balance between the city lights and the blue ambient

was this hand held ?
    Sharpness could be better, but then I'm looking at this on my phone

Beautiful and it brings back many happy memories........

Love this one. I would love to visit Capri one day. You captured it very well. I would also loved to see more shots close up to some of the great areas in the photo. From this scene you could've capture a lot of different photographs by zooming in to different area. very nice feel overall.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Critique?

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    Beautiful and it brings back many happy memories........
    It is beautiful! Do you have any advice to offer? It's important that we keep the Photo Critique Forum about critique and not let it turn into just a place where we browse photos and pat each other on the back. Plus, when you take the time to offer real criticism, you learn something that you can then apply to your own photography
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

There is not much to critique in this image. Beautiful capture. If I had to pick nits I’d maybe make it a little lighter, but I say that only to pick nits

Quote Originally Posted by Justan View Post
    There is not much to critique in this image. Beautiful capture. If I had to pick nits I’d maybe make it a little lighter, but I say that only to pick nits
    I agree - it is a tough one to critique

So tell us why it doesn't need any critiquing? That's also a very useful analytical process that we can all learn from. Figuring out why something works is different from just acknowledging that it works.

To follow my own recommendation - here's are my thoughts on this photo. First of all, I love it. It makes me want to be there. It has a wonderful Mediterranean feel and I love the timing of the photo. I'm not sure if lighter would really be better. Right now it feels like early night, right after the sun is down, and think that feel is critical to this image. The main criticism I have is that I think it could be just a bit tighter. I think there's a bit too much empty sky and I'd like to see the horizon line moved up a bit. I also think we could lose just a bit from the sides without hurting the image.

One thing I notice about the composition is how good the lines are. My eye starts in the city lights down below and then I spot the boat, then my eye travels across the strait to those distant peaks, then it comes back and starts all over. That's a very dynamic composition - one that encourages me to keep exploring details in the image. I think cropping would help but you don't want to lose the dynamic, active quality of the composition. And I want to mention that boat again - I think it's a critical element of this image. I don't think it would be nearly as good without that boat.

So how's that for a critique? See how I really studied the image and analyzed what was good and bad? I agree it's hard to say anything really bad about this image. But if you study it and think about what works, you can learn something that can then be applied to future photos. If you never analyze photos, then you're never really working from a position of knowledge and understanding. Intuition and instinct are nice but they're much more powerful when combined with analysis
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
    I would also loved to see more shots close up to some of the great areas in the photo. From this scene you could've capture a lot of different photographs by zooming in to different area. very nice feel overall.
    I agree about tighter shots. I think there are hundreds of photos to be had in this one scene, at this same time. This is such a suggestive photo. It really makes me want to do some post-sunset photos from the mountains!
    Photo-John

GB1

A little more foreground Dancer, so that the area of light doesn't seem to be touching the bottom of the frame. Not sure I like how the end of the peninsula is intersecting the next land mass, but there is just so much you can do about non-perfect angles when shooting sometimes. I might also crop in a bit as an experiment.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    I agree - it is a tough one to critique

So tell us why it doesn't need any critiquing? That's also a very useful analytical process that we can all learn from. Figuring out why something works is different from just acknowledging that it works.

To follow my own recommendation - here's are my thoughts on this photo. First of all, I love it. It makes me want to be there. It has a wonderful Mediterranean feel and I love the timing of the photo. I'm not sure if lighter would really be better. Right now it feels like early night, right after the sun is down, and think that feel is critical to this image. The main criticism I have is that I think it could be just a bit tighter. I think there's a bit too much empty sky and I'd like to see the horizon line moved up a bit. I also think we could lose just a bit from the sides without hurting the image.

One thing I notice about the composition is how good the lines are. My eye starts in the city lights down below and then I spot the boat, then my eye travels across the strait to those distant peaks, then it comes back and starts all over. That's a very dynamic composition - one that encourages me to keep exploring details in the image. I think cropping would help but you don't want to lose the dynamic, active quality of the composition. And I want to mention that boat again - I think it's a critical element of this image. I don't think it would be nearly as good without that boat.

So how's that for a critique? See how I really studied the image and analyzed what was good and bad? I agree it's hard to say anything really bad about this image. But if you study it and think about what works, you can learn something that can then be applied to future photos. If you never analyze photos, then you're never really working from a position of knowledge and understanding. Intuition and instinct are nice but they're much more powerful when combined with analysis
    Nice job of a teaching moment.

Thread Information