Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Abandoned Homes

Abandoned Homes

Just started coming to this site and thought I would post some of my work. C+C appreciated. More can be seen at roberthenrya.tumblr.com

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Abandoned Homes

I think the first two are too busy or the first is not busy enough with the focal point being so centered.
    I like the b/w and think it the best of the group. I might crop some off the bottom just above that white bit.
    Not sure about the flag one. Was it there? I guess I'd like more of the flag so it doesn't run off frame at the bottom.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It is very appreciated.
    To answer your question, the flag was already there. Here are a few others from various locations

GB1

Welcome to the forums. These have potential but I feel that they need some additional post processing work (using Photoshop or another application) to help elevate their impact. All seem a tad soft to me but not so much that a little sharpening can't fix them. As Frog stated, the actual subject in many of them isn't super strong, but I think a lot of that can be fixed with some cropping of the images to eliminate some of the excess negative space, esp in the (first batch's) first image of the freezer (?) and the one of the fellow. They're just a tad too wide and could be much improved my tightening up the scene a bit to remove distractions. I like the key image and the one with the blue card in the second batch, though I wish I could read what the card said. Try cropping off the area above the stove and see what you get.

I don't know if you used one, but besides the one with the fellow the scenes like this are ideal for using a tripod since the subjects don't move on you, so to increase the sharpness.

A lot of technical comments I know, but creativity-wise I think you're definitely on to something. Go back and reshoot a few times in different lights, as this place is worth it.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Ctn

I am going to disagree a bit here. I think the portrait in the barn(?) is spot on and shows the correct amount of context, really well executed (matter of taste i guess).

GB1 mentioned the sharpness and the post processing (or the lack of it). I am not really sure, maybe you can confirm this observation, but i think the images are actually sharp, but are intentionally blurred in key places in post processing to get a type of feel to them, a certain style of 60/70's analog color photography.

If im right about the things i stated above ill stick to critique on the subject matter and composition.
    I think the photo with the flag, the key and the portrait are the best in the series.
    The rest seem to be a bit too "messy" for my taste. Maybe try and isolate the subject a bit more.

Thank you for the further feedback. All except for the black and white are shot on 35mm with a canon AE1. The images are sharp, although the I think the scans could be better

I absolutely LOVE these. I am a fan of finding the beauty in the destroyed. The photo with the key is my favorite. And I for one love the look of the photos, I don't know if it was done in camera or post but either way I think the toy cam look was appropriate for the subject matter lending a vintage deconstructed feel.

Thread Information