Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

abandoned industrial site II

More from the abandoned industrial site. I toned down the contrast a little bit. I never really feel like it (any picture in general, not specifically these) is right, mostly because I'm still learning what is right. I look at a pic and play with the contrast and brightness (satuarion too for a color pic) untill I think it looks good, but a little darker or lighter/more or less contrast to me doesn't make too much of a difference as far as better or worse goes. So, with each critique I hope to better understand what makes a good photo. Thanks for all of your help!

Ps. The post "Three Nails" is also from the same site... I shot like 50 pictures of that place, and I find myself wanting to go back. Luckily it is only a few blocks from my work (maybe a mile)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails abandoned industrial site II-burned-meter.jpg   abandoned industrial site II-hopper.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Arrow

You sound like me. I am new to this and I also have a "favorite" place to go, about a mile from my home. Old houses that were moved from a town when the town was torn down to improve upon the recreational area of a national park. All of the houses are now near my home, about 6 of them, crammed in to about 2 acres. I love it. Anyway, to your pictures:

1. I like the picture but I think you could crop in a little closer to the object because on the left side of the picture there is too much grass/weeds. Distracting and kind of empty space if you know what I mean. I like the contrasts very much.

2. This is my idea of what a "moonlighting still" might look like! I have never seen one tho. I am drawn more towards the long tube (for lack of a better word) than anything else, My eye just seems to follow it naturally towards it's end at the bottom of the picture, to the gaping hole. I also like the contrasts in this one.

3. I am still thinking on this one. Ok, thought about it. I cropped it myself, hope you don't mind, and closed in a little more on the big "x" shaped posts. So that there is less distraction from the area. I uploaded it here. If you don't like it just say so.....it is your picture. I just wanted to show you what I mean.

4. I really like this one, not sure if it is the angle at which you took this picture but the items appear to be towering over you. I do think there is too much light at the bottom of the legs, they almost disappear so you overlook them and I think these are the main point of the picture, the legs from the top of the angle you chose to the bottom. More definition. This is my favorite.

I will check out the picture of the three nails too, saw it but haven't gotten that far yet!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

#1 I agree what you said. After reading your suggestions, I felt like "duh", pretty obvious. I did what you said and I like the results..

#2 Thanks!

#3 I see what you mean, but I still ike it cropped less than what you reposted. I did crop mine a bit more though..

#4 The sun was directly behind that left leg. At first I wasn't sure about this image, if it was even usable, but after playing with it, it grew on me. If you look at the first post I did from this site, this was taken driectly under that tall tower. You can see the legs in that other post.

Thanks for your helpful comments!

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    #1 I agree what you said. After reading your suggestions, I felt like "duh", pretty obvious. I did what you said and I like the results..

#2 Thanks!

#3 I see what you mean, but I still ike it cropped less than what you reposted. I did crop mine a bit more though..

#4 The sun was directly behind that left leg. At first I wasn't sure about this image, if it was even usable, but after playing with it, it grew on me. If you look at the first post I did from this site, this was taken driectly under that tall tower. You can see the legs in that other post.

Thanks for your helpful comments!
    I know what you mean about the obvious after someone else looks at a photo for you. Happens to me all to often. Just look at the post of my niece and nephew, cut off my nephews feet. I didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out. I had some pictures developed and I picked them up today. One of the pictures is of a small calf. I kept looking at the picture thinking, "I KNOW that calf had 2 ears when I took the picture." LOL I thought it's ear was missing, soooooooo I showed it to someone else. Sheesh ear tag was there in bright blue...don't know how I missed it. Sometimes I have to say, I amaze myself with my blunders.

I do like the picture of the tower. Makes me think of endurance. I will have to check out the post you are talking about so I can see it. Hope you put more posts up.

Betty

I don't like cropping any of my pictures at all. Hate it actually, but sometimes I do to get rid of dead space. Did you repost the one you cropped? #3? I wouldn't mind seeing it cropped more to see how it turned out.
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

I think the second shot is interesting from the point of view you caught it from, but the rest I am not too up on the framing. Also, it looks like you might be using too much Unsharp mask as all of these look like they have thinned out beyond sharpness. It does look to be an interesting place to explore.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Why do you have to be so greedy to post 4 (!) pictures in the same post?

Unsharp mask? I have sharpen or blur tools. Whenever I resize a photo for posting it turns out WAY soft, so I have the sharpen it a little or a lot. And, it is a very interesting place to explore. I plan on going back, soon..

JoeD, to answer your question, I dunno.. I've seen it done before and said, what the hey....

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    Unsharp mask?
    That's part of Photoshop; filter/sharpen/unsharp mask

Thread Information