Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 2 Portraits of Adrienne. [Pics Attached]

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Flaws? She's hottt!!
    I agree. I don't like barbie dolls. Well, I guess I like them well enough. But they don't really interest me. These photos really make me want to know more.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by McMadCow
    Well Richard Avedon Disagrees with him. Also, my model happens to like these shots very much. She's not insulted in the least.
    Hmmmmm - shouldn't be posting other photographers' work in here, for whatever reason. Next time link to them instead.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hey McMad,

Looks like you sparked quite a conversation with these shots!

As to the photos themselves:
    1. I just don't like the framing and composition of this one. I don't know if it is that the face is cut off on the right (her left) or the hand or the position of her mouth, but it is not pleasing to my eye. (But eyes differ!) I think it might be improved by cropping closer! Either right below the nose or even a tight shot on the eyes. (They are great eyes!)

2. This is a classic! I love it! Bravo!!!! WhoooHooo!!!!! 'nuff said!

3. I like the distracted feel to this one, and the dark background improves the contrast a bit. This is a really good one.

4. This one also looks to have a bit better contrast than the first two, and is an excellent shot! Intense! Her eyes just draw you in!

All in all, they are great shots!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

I think the 2nd one is the best one. Very nice smile and great tones even though it would've been better if the crop was a bit wider IMO.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Some ridiculous stuff in this thread. Rules are subject to change, and the reason we have those "rules" in the first place was because someone else broke the previous "rules", and it pleased the masses.

Some of the greatest painters were told their work was rubbish, and it wasn't conventional. Unless this guy is photo editor for every publication, curator for every gallery, and portrait consultant to the universe it is just another opinion. The people that matter in the end are the photographer, and client.

If I had to adhere to strict rules, it would be too much like work and wouldn't be worth it.

Sebastian said it best "I throw up a little in my mouth"...AMEN and BRAVO!!

Hey all, thanks for the additional input!
    Marty, I'm pretty much in agreement with your individual critiques, so thanks for taking the time to go over them all! I'm pretty fond of the composition in the first shot, but I can also see your point that it could be seen as a little chopped.

I think the most important things we've learned in this thread so far are:

1. Photo-John is a kickass admin because he's seen Naked Raygun live!

2. I'm a moron because I posted some copyrighted Avedon portraits!

Thanks again to everyone for your input.
    Last edited by McMadCow; 03-10-2006 at 01:17 PM.
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

I shot with Adrienne this past weekend and I had a lot of fun. I'll probably post a few from that set on here over the next couple of days, but I liked these portraits and I'm looking for some feedback on them.
    I shot these with my 50mm, I think around f4. Kodak BW400CN film.
    Any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!
    I like both of them, the second one more so. If she was made up it would just be another model/playboy photo, there too many of those falks running around now days.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Not sure what else to say!
    This has been a very active thread!

These are both great portraits. They are very natural and flattering.
    I like them both equally as well as the second set you posted.
    I like them becuase they are so natural.
    You don't need make up, and studio lighting to make good portraits.
    Rules are meant to be broken!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Talking Re: 2 Portraits of Adrienne. [Pics Attached]

2. I'm a moron because I posted some copyrighted Avedon portraits!
    We'll forgive you, this time......
    ;)
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    We'll forgive you, this time......
    ;)
    Brian
    Glad this got stickied.

Congrats! Well deserved.

I like the first shot the best ... I find that I tend to be biased toward shots where eyes are a main part of the subject. But, I have to admit, both are great.

It's unfortunate a thread like this had to get hijacked due to the discussion of the philosophy of photography...these, are without a doubt, some of the most impressive portrait work I've seen in a while (on this site and elsewhere).

The pictures, as everybody has noted, portrays pure, true beauty, much unlike what we see day in and day out with this media. I commend not only you McMad for taking these shots but for your model for going through with these pictures...there definately was a huge payoff.

Well done, and I'm humbled; not just because of the sheer skill and natural reality of this shot but because the outcome was so strong.

Kudos my friend, Kudos.

Thanks, Jar and everyone else who has commented so far!

And thanks for the sticky on these, too! There's been some nice work going up lately and I'm humbled that these were deemed worthy of the featured status.
    -Naked Raygun

Hi, I AM ADRIENNE!!
    ciao wow meow! nice to meet you all! i'm mcmadcow's model, featured.
    i want to first of all thank sebastian, photojohn, and all the others for totally getting it. anyone who thinks that flaws can't be beautiful shouldn't be on this site.
    Secondly,
    ronocco, i am EXTREMELY insulted that you reposted my photo "your way" and not just much for me, but for McMadcow, who consistently takes great time and huge measures to capture my moments, not commercialize pics, or imitate anyone else in any way. I also cannot believe your arrogance when you say that "someone has to tell it straight". I am astounded, disgusted and bewildered by whatever reasons you are on this forum at all.
    McMadcow has gone to great lengths to explain why he shoots what he shoots, and obviously he posted these shots of me for a reason. I'd like to mention that he is by leaps and bounds the most professional but still very fun and adventurous photographer i have ever worked with, and i've known hundreds. Most aren't interested in capturing, like Avedon, the "moment" at all, and my exact quote to McMadcow when we first shot was "Here's my deal: I don't want to take a photo that anyone has ever seen before in any cliche way, no matter what we do". He totally obliged that, and agreed, which is the first reason we collaborate so well. I would work with a photographer with that attitude any day of the week.
    I hope that people continue to want to live in a world where all models don't look like plastic posing mannequins, but rather want to be surprisingly inspired by the few of us who truly LOVE to be captured when we least expect it. It is so much more rewarding as a working model to have those pictures, because capturing character in synch with beauty is so difficult--especially if you see McMadcow work in person.
    I have intense respect for anyone who posts philisophical comments (like many above) about "modeling", as they are obviously passionate about seeing those people--not just girls for hire-- in the world, completely comfortable being in their moment. I know I wish I saw more of them! I know a lot of models who hate their job. I'm just thankful to know a photographer that respects and cares about "getting me right", no matter whether he or I like or dislike the photo.
    If you want to see more of McMadcow's photos of me, ask his permission, and he'd probably be happy to send you my email and I can show you more. there are TONS more that are just gorgeous in the "Is that really me?" way
    THANKS, McMadcow, I can't wait to work with you again.
    peace,
    adrienne

and sebastian, THANK YOU for the seriously thought-out comments, what a great heart. i saw some of your images inthe archives and am very intrigued. you will go far i believe!!!
    adrienne morton

Shame on Ronnoco! Adriennemorton, you are a beautiful model and I love all your portraits. McMadCow, great job.

Adrienne,

It's good to see you post on here about your "modelling" (I still don't know if that's the term I want to use). It's really neat to hear what it feels like to be on the other side of the camera.

Hopefully you can expand more (or McMadCow) on the whole process you guys went through to get these great shots.

Thanks again Adrienne,

Jared

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adriennemorton
    Hi, I AM ADRIENNE!!
    ciao wow meow! nice to meet you all! i
    Welcome !
    There's somthing that I didn't spot about that image until it was the featured photo.
    The way with your hair pulled back on the right that your hand is taking the place of the curl of your hair balancing the strands coming down on the other side.
    When it was full screen on my PC, I couldn't stop looking at you (it's the eyes) and it was only when the image was smaller that I was able to look at the whole thing and see the composition.
    It's an image that needs to printed, hung, and then looked at properly - not just on the screen.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

hi all! thanks for reading
    paul, on the soubject of the hands, done intentionally. little insider info here: i am widely known (whatever that means for using my hands in photos. you'll see what i mean on modelmayhem, etc. I get a lot of emails from people titled "Your Hands! i was even hired back for a job once because of it. funny....but here's the subcontext:
    1)i can't STAND photos that have models with long manicured fingernails,
    2)in general, i LOVE hands. LOVE!
    3) Hence, I have made a huge point in my "career" as a model (and yes i hate that word too, to use my hands. its something that i do intentionally
    4) ....as homage to my mother (i have her hands and its scary how alike they are. people have always commented on it since i was very little.i also am a believer that the positioning of the hands in photography in my eye, makes very fascinating photographs, and adds to the individuality and expressive ability of the subject (works for me anyway!)
    5) you have to make yourself stand out in this business somehow! so this is my signature. and now its pretty subconscious.....as McMadcow has captured!
    luv, adrienne

I do believe this is a first, for here anyway!
    Where the model/subject has chimed in on the discussion of the photograph.
    GOOD STUFF!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I do believe this is a first, for here anyway!
    Where the model/subject has chimed in on the discussion of the photograph.
    GOOD STUFF!
    Brian

HAH! You just TRY and stop Addie from chiming in when she's enthusiastic about something...!
    -Naked Raygun

okay, i just almost fell off my chair. McMadcow hit the nail on the head, to say the least. Just try and stop me, peiod. sorry if that sounds cocky, but in fact, i'm not sorry, i am if nothing passionate about being passionate. and to complete a gorgeous vicious circle, thanks for caring enough to write about just that, all!!
    adrienne

McMadCow, these are fine portraits, and interesting discussion. What is appealing and effective about your photos is the very rawness of them and I'm quite surprised to hear ronnocos comments. The rules are there for when there is nothing else to go on, but once there is a vision, the rules have to fly. Theres no question that these pictures are not for everyone, but what photograph or any other image for that matter is?
    I think you've done good work here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

i am widely known ... for using my hands in photos
    adds to the individuality and expressive ability
    Were/are you a dancer?
    Most people don't know what to do with their hands when a camera points their way.
    Yet the few dancers I've known, western or eastern, use their hands as part of their pose.
    It seems natural, but given how most people don't control their hands I wonder if it's from their training. Part of using their hands to communicate while dancing?

You made me think, I'll be watching people's hands tomorrow at work

I've been surprised that I can tell the difference between the models at car shows and the female decorations on the car stands. It's hard to put into words, but they seem to be totally aware of all the cameras, in control of their body and aware of their pose (not just standing about) and they connect with the camera lens somehow spotting who's ready to take the shot. I've talked to a few in the quiet times between the scrum of photographers' press sesssions and so far the ones I've been impressed with have all been models - not from some marketing/PR body shop.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information