Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

2 pics and a good crop?

im new to photography and my camera (nikon d70). Any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 pics and a good crop?-.jpg   2 pics and a good crop?-b.jpg   2 pics and a good crop?-1a.jpg  
    Last edited by kitst3r; 05-21-2004 at 06:54 PM. Reason: did i forget the pictures?

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by kitst3r
    im new to photography and my camera (nikon d70). Any help would be much appreciated.
    Hello Kitst3r,

Welcome, It's good to see that you have choosen the right camera lol.

I don't know if it is just my browser (it might be, it has been acting weird lately) but your first picture appears like if it was half downloaded or something. It seems nicely framed but I cannot really comment on it due to the circumstances.

I enjoy the two others quite a lot (I am not sure if I have a favorite one out of the two). They are well composed, the colors are rather pleasing and the swan passing by is an excellent element. My only concern (well it's not such a concern) is that these pictures are noisy. It is not necessarily a problem depending on one taste but I am personally concerned to see that much noise on pictures that were downsized like that. I suppose that you turned up the ISO value in order to realize these shots hand held but using a tripod (supposing that you havent used one) and going for a longer exposure while sticking to IS0 200 would have given a cleaner result. Actually, I know for a fact that you can achieve totally noiseless pictures with the D70 in almost any situation.

best regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 05-21-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Seb
    My mistake,

The first picture will sometime download properly. It is a nice shot. I cannot really provide constructive criticise on the picture itself (I wouldnt change a thing about it) but you unfortunatelly have a grain of dust on your sensor. It show up in the upper right corner of the frame (the blurry dot).

This may show up on the first picture as you must have used a smaller aperture for that one. The bigger is the aperture, the less visible dust will get. There is a procedure explained in your owner guide to lock up the mirror of your D70 to access the sensor. Use an airblower to clean the sensor. Dust is always an issue with DSLR's.

On another note, I'd say that I prefer your second picture over the third. The rock and the wave in the water on the bottom of that picture make it more complete to me.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 05-21-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks for the input, yes there was dust on the lpfilter. Both pictures were using auto exposure mode, the swan on a tripod and the other not. As for the camera, wanted an digital SLR so i could be creative with the features. I had fun with my pentax p30 but waiting for processing etc takes time and id spend that much on film that i considered it worth it.

these are not bad. I like the middle shot. The warm colors are great and the swan in the scene a plus. I think that you should level the bridge in the frame though, straighten it so that the bridge is just the same height out of the frame on both right and left. Just my opinion. The first one i like as well but something not quite right, but not sure what it is.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I would say the first could use a little perspective correction, but even without it, it's pretty good. I think maybe the bottom of the frame has a bit too much empty space because of the angle involved, but that's just my opinion. The little waves rippling to shore are nice so you could argue either way.

Of the two bottom shots, I prefer the more panoramic cropping as it emphasises the subject more.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I like the idea of the first one but the sun should be on the other end of the bridge. As it is now, the sun competes for attention with the leading diagonals of the bridge. The second photo is good but what is that thing next to the swan? The layering of this image is good.

Both are quite good, although I would like to see less a less distracting background in #1.
    My favorite is the one with the swan, but I would go for a different crop (example).
    Well done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    The dilemna here after your first crop is to keep the towers or lose them.I think they were pulling my eyes apart while all i wanted to do was see the serenity of the swan gliding in to the sun set.Had a go to crop to what i mean.Hope you like it.Thks for sharing.
    Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images  

when i was setting up the tripod for the shot i was aware the swan was there but out of picture to the right. by the time i was ready to take it the swan was dead centre. i didnt set it up for the swan just luck. same as with this new shot. I liked the swan and lighting thats all but just before i took it someone threw bread in the water and a seagull made it into the shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 pics and a good crop?-luck2.jpg  

Thread Information