Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: 1 Can

1 Can

Another series i had in mind and started. Shooting images of all kinds of metal cans, large and small. This is sort of pop art feel. Shot with film, scanned and photoshopped till I dropped. I have it the way I wanted and feel am satisfied with it. Would like to hear feedback on whether anyone else finds this visually entertaining Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Can-can1204-170805x1web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: 1 Can

I Like this pic alot. I am a fan of popart and do find the whole idea of shooting cans interesting. The can has apopeal because it looks so weathered and worn.
    I especially like how it's set against black and white with the dramatic sky. Great compositon.
    I think it all comes together nicely and look forward to seeing more of this series. You always seem to come up with some creative ideas. Great job as usual.
    ~Nina~

I love the stong contrast between the color/no color, sky and harsh lines -- very good and while I'm not a real fan of popart, I do like creative imaging and this is very nice.
    Aaron

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Another series i had in mind and started. Shooting images of all kinds of metal cans, large and small. This is sort of pop art feel. Shot with film, scanned and photoshopped till I dropped. I have it the way I wanted and feel am satisfied with it. Would like to hear feedback on whether anyone else finds this visually entertaining Thanks
    Hello Gary,

While I am not a fan of colored objects against b&w background I must say that I think that you did well with that one. The can is very well exposed and the sky is quite something. Overall, I like the effect.

Seb

I am not a fan of color and B&W in the same photo either. However this is a striking image. The detail and contrast of the worn barrel stands out well against the muted background. Well seen and done.

Tuna

Is it me, or does the can have eyes...

Andrew

It definitely has eyes, I just wonder what it "can" see????
    Aaron

Thanks all for the comments. Your points about color on b&w are something I usually feel as well, but for these images strangely enough i just felt this had to be the way to go. I'm very pleased to find that you feel it is effective this way. btw, yes the can has eyes. I had not noticed until I set the can up on the pier and spotted it through my viewfinder. . .then went and adjusted it again so that they were looking off to the side.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 12-17-2004 at 01:33 AM. Reason: the eyes

gary

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    This is a very attractive image which has a good impact. I liked it as soon as I saw it. I believe the reddishness of the can helps a lot to grab the viewer's attention (psychology of colors). However, I find the eyes of the can to be distractive as it breaks the graphism of the image. But that's nothing you could have done about it!

Well done and good idea.

Because I am picky, I was wondering wether a slight perspective adjustement would be helpful here in order to have the edge of the can parallel to that of the frame???

Cheers,

Steph.
    Last edited by Steph_B; 12-18-2004 at 04:13 AM.

Its a very cool looking picture, its very eye pleasing, i always wondered how do u do that half b/w and half color techinque
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Steph . . . Thanks for commenting and your points. I had thought about straightening the can with the frame with perspective transformation, but the cans perspective as iut is seems natural to me from the point of view it was taken from. . .but I think I might experiment with that notion.

YoungShooter . . Exactly what I wanted this image to be. . .Eye pleasing and nothing more. As for the coloring over b&w, I suppose there are a few ways to do this but as with many of my edits I work with layers. I make a duplicate copy which is actually the same image applied on TOP of the original and convert that one to b&w and adjust the mix ( RBG) till I'm satisfied. Then I use what called an eraser brush(set here at about 60%opacity) to erase the top layer (the b&w layer) off of the can revealing its original colors. Thats basically how I "color" the can over the b&w. Thanks for your time to comment.

gary

Thread Information