Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

1 of 160 tries at Fridays Sunset.

Dont worry, I wont post 'em all.

C&C welcome, I have over 100 pictures of this golden hour and gotta figure out the elements that need help.

I'm starting to videotape sunsets and speed them up.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Re: 1 of 160 tries at Fridays Sunset.

Time-lapse video are great but somewhat over-done.... unless you are doing them for your own usage and satisfaction then they are only tiring....

The way it stands, i would have preferred to see a crop with the tree (i mean the tree being shot closer not digital crop), it would have made more sense, since now i just don't get it!

The colours i like...the use of lines too, its the whole together that i don't.... I would suggest you change positions (160 different angles or different times?) and do try to get closer to that tree with the sunset! As it stands it doesn't do much for me!

Hope this helps
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I wanted to get closer, ah the limitations of a regional park. That was full zoom. with my a510, 4x (140mm) Basically all the angles are at that distance, basically just the sun at different levels and I put it on different sides of the tree and framed the sun on the left with the hill on the middle with more trees, some with the sun further right in the frame and a few wide shots.

The time lapse is just for fun....like the rest of my photography.

That sunset convinced me to make sure my next camera has lots of zoom.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

hahaha...lots of zooms indeed....you started wishing you had them only when you get stuck far away....

Since you can't get any closer, i suggest you stick with time-lapse then.... and use these shots as backgrounds (desktops....presentations.....) I like the colours and lines, like i said, but it just feels that the subject of attention is too far away...

Good luck on the time lapse thing

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Just for fun, here's what i have so far. on the time lapse, that was the first time I ever did it, didnt turn out how I wanted, for one thing, it was on auto settings, and for another thing, the battery died after 45 minutes.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

GB1

The composition is unconventional for sure. I'm not sure about the way the sun sits over the trees.. hmmmmmm.... don't know what to make of it. The color is nice but the shot seems a tad bit underexposed to me too, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 f-stop.. Why is the picture so soft? It just doesnt seem sharp, and since it faces into the sun, I would think that the shutter speed was fast and/or the aperature was pretty small, both of which usually lead to a sharper photo with good DOF (?)

Anyway - sunsets are a magnet for photographers. This one was definitely worth a shot or 2 (or 160)

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Well that was not bad at all, but i see what you mean with auto settings.... this is not the place to discuss it, but they could also use some color tweaking...There is some set up they do for time-lapse you might wanna check out the Digital Video section and post a thread there, it would help you alot better! cheers
    Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

The tree looks more like an ATV or something to me. I like what you have done and you are off to a good start. How hard would it be to have someone walking down the hill at normal pace while the sun was setting at the pace you have it, I think that would be neat if it could be done.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

an ATV?

Did you check the full size version?

I'm new to time lapse, but I saw something like what you're suggesting on tv and thought it was cool, but I use windows movie maker and a 5 year old dv camera, I doubt it's possible with my funds.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

The failure of many sunsets is that they are too flat in their look as in two thirds sky in top and black negative space at the bottom.

Clouds are great because they add to the colour as well as providing depth in the sky area. The challenge for most photographers is trying to get a foreground and_or middle ground to add depth to the photo. Years ago, I did a hunter standing close to water with the sun setting in the background. A tripod is useful to get some detail into the foreground area and a graduated neutral density filter to keep the sky properly exposed while brightening the foreground a little.

Ronnoco

Thread Information