Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: ~Basto

~Basto

What do you think? Fuji provia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ~Basto-0405-1911x1web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

learning member

Re: ~Basto

Very stark, simple. The can jumps out as usual. the shadow & tree make a very good comp. Nice balance w/ bg trees & tall grass, forms a V shape, filled in nicely w/ tree& can. The rough texture of the ground, dark light dark from top to bottom & extreme sharpness thrughout all great stuff.
    A "NIT", dark to light right to left? Na, dammit, that works to. I tried to be a little neg. I like the sky contrast w/ branches too. Excelent film, Excellent photo!
    Mark.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I was begining to wonder about you Gary I haven't seen you online in a while...
    Glad to see you are busy with this project.
    Interesting image. It has a different kind of balance to it, front to back rather than side to side. I like how the tree frames the photograph too.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Interesting can,beautiful color and a solid background all wrapped up in a good, simple composition. Great again.
    ----------------------------

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Another great one Gary! I love the DOF in this one. The way you framed the tree just to the left.
    Nice job as usual!

Scott

The DOF is amazing Gary. Lovely shot, and it just works perfectly!

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

I really like the texture difference between the sky (very silky) and the gravel, this is probably my favorite element. I love the nice dark shadow from the can and the lighting throughout the picture is very well done.
    The tree is a very nice element in this picture, frames the can nicely and adds another object of interest to the whole composition.
    Another nice can picture...Can we see more?
    Cheers

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Gary,

The tree looks terrific in this picture. It makes for a second element of interest without competing with the can that "pop" as usual. I like how you have composed this.

I am thinking that the shadow of the can is rather strong but it works anyway as MDMC already said.

regards

Seb

Your ability to find all of the cans and then actually make them interesting is just astounding to me. I am at my core a wildlife photographer, but other than that this is about my favorite thing to try, and I suck at it.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Now that's funny. I always appreciate a good tree shot, but that can adds a bit if HUH? to the shot! Love the colored can against the black and white background too!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thanks all for your responses. Mark thanks alot for the detailed analysis, i like the points you have brought up. Brian , Chunk, Scott, Tao, Jared , Seb, Almo and Janie.. . I very much appreciate your comments. Almo, thanks for the kind praise
    I'm glad this was well recieved and has me rethinking my initial concerns. I was not too happy about the can being so close to the tre. . .so much so that I had already gone out and reshot Basto before I posted this composition. Here is the reshoot with the comp that I felt was better. I would like to know which you feel is stronger of the two.
    Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ~Basto-0405-0417x1web.jpg  

gary

Thanks all for your responses. Mark thanks alot for the detailed analysis, i like the points you have brought up. Brian , Chunk, Scott, Tao, Jared , Seb, Almo and Janie.. . I very much appreciate your comments. Almo, thanks for the kind praise
    I'm glad this was well recieved and has me rethinking my initial concerns. I was not too happy about the can being so close to the tre. . .so much so that I had already gone out and reshot Basto before I posted this composition. Here is the reshoot with the comp that I felt was better. I would like to know which you feel is stronger of the two.
    Thanks again
    Quite simply #1.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

learning member

(when posting quick reply you can still see the image).
    The more I look the more I like,
    Mark.

#1 definitely, i feel with # 2, you lose the weight of the drum as you're looking too much behind it. In #1 you have the tree and the drum and the DOF which adds to the composition. In #2, you have the drum, then the tree, then the water, then the beach... In other words, #1 is very clear in its composition and has a great perspective, #2 seems to lose that.

regards

chris
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

Almo, Mark, Chris. . .thanks for weighing in on the comparison.

gary

Hi Gary,

I think both are great shots. In looking at your two submissions, I like the first one better. The composition & DOF has a much more surreal feel to it. And, I think this complements your series concept of masking all color except the can.

BTW, I really appreciate your big can series.

BR,
    Tim
    Last edited by OldSchool; 04-19-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

After reading all the comments i am going to stick my stupid neck on the block and say to me it is a bit "busy". The tree and the angles created by the path would be enough of interest to me. There, i said it, hope you dont mind its just the way i see it.
    Bobby

Thanks Tim, for the explanation as to why. I'm feeling that the 1st is more about the can and thats what I'm going for.
    Bobby, not at all. I'm glad your sharing your honest opinion. Very much appreciated. Are you reffering to one specific composition, or just both shots in general you feel not strong?

gary

I'm feeling that the 1st is more about the can
    I agree. In the second it's kinda like "why would someone include a garbage can in that nice picture of a tree?".
    ----------------------------

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Much prefer the second where the can adds interest but does not dominate.
    Bobby

Thread Information