What do I need??? HELP!!!

Ok.... i have been wondering where i should post this, in the end decided here, if this is the wrong place, than sorry mod, for the trouble of you having to move this

My question is this:

I am going into freelance photography, full time....and wanted to know what is the minimum equipment i need!?
    I am going after journalism (mostly for quick paying gigs), fashion (magazines) and Ads....

Equipment i already have: Canon 300 (sorry but this is my only film cam) Canon 20D, 18-55mm, 28-90mm, 90-300mm, 50mm....Laptop, with PS and all other required software...even got some plug-ins for portraits (any help with those is more than welcome)

My budget is limited, so if need to buy more stuff that i can't afford, i would appreciate any advice as to how to start off, and what type of company to talk to!

Thank you in advance!
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Re: What do I need??? HELP!!!

backup. Specifically, backup to your digital body. The film camera is great for if you are just doing this for fun. But if you're in business, and you're using a digital setup, you need a digital backup. Unless you plan on keeping an assortment of different films on you just in case.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Adina,

Thanks, if there's anything i learned throughout my 9 years in graphics, is 2 things:

Cmd+S (Ctrl+S) and External Firewire HD are extremely important!

I hit the save combination in my sleep even!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I beleive what Adina is refering to is a backup digital camera body, not backing up your files. Of course that is very important too, but having a reliable second body will make sure you are able to complete the job. I carry a film camera as my backup, and I love it, but if you're working on a deadline, and need quick turn around, a second digital body could mean the difference between meeting that deadline, and not.

What about lighting? You mention fashion magazines, so I'm assuming you will be working in a studio for that kind of work. Do you have lighting, and studio equipment? Even a speedlight may come in handy for journalizim shots if the lighting isn't good. I don't use my speedlight much, but it's nice to know it's there if I do need it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well having a back-up body i dont have....just the Cards...but i do have with me a film body with a fresh set of films....

As for the studio, i will be renting them and their lights, the prices i found are roughly for about $700 US.... per day....Studio and lights of course! so that will be making it into my price as well.....

As for the photojournalism, they will be during the day, since i will not be covering events which is another story by itself, and something i do not like! And i dont need to worry about bad weather here, since its sunny most of the time....probably 325 days a year...

I do realize however, that a light meter would come in handy and i got some input on that in the Studio & lighting section of the forum...

Basically, i know that what i got is enough to get me started out small, but i wanted to try and start out as medium (if you know what i mean) I will need a set of portable Strobes or Flash units with their stands and extras.... I will eventually need to go Medium Format to score the bigger jobs.....

I was simply asking to be pointed in the right direction by any who care to help.... What type of folio would be good to have as i am starting up would be a nice piece of advice too...

Thanks again for all the help!
    Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Thread Information