Thread: Watermarking

Watermarking

I have another quick question. Should I consider watermarking? And if so where do I look? Thanks

Re: Watermarking

You can add them with Photoshop, but I think the choice of if is a personal one. Good luck, soory I am no more help and I would love to see some of the images. Post them in the critique forum.....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Hi, there

This is one of the easy program that I use as Watermarking my D-photos.

http://www.easyimagetools.com/products/watermark/

Good luck,

C.L
    MSP-MN

Food for thought- you could be facing what I am right now... I didn't watermark my images. Now I have found some people have active links to my images without any permission or credit given. I will break their links but now I face having to go back and watermark hundreds of images I have out on my website. This doesn't account for anyone that has already saved images of mine to their own computers without permission. I am just glad that they are not the full size images.
    :idea:

This may be a stupid question but what exactly is it that watermarking does to the image. the photoshop version that i have has some basic watermarking in it. What are the pros and cons?

I use a program by AISWatermark (google them). You can do about 50 in less than 15 seconds. Lots of features such as auto resize, watermark positioning, type faces etc.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

are their any free programs you can download and use on a batch of photos?
    New to photography/Amateur Photographer.

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX
    Slik 340DX A.M.T. w/ pan tilt head

Good day.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gidian9
    This may be a stupid question but what exactly is it that watermarking does to the image. the photoshop version that i have has some basic watermarking in it. What are the pros and cons?

pro: makes it if someone downloads your image, it gives clear ownership and is easy to prevent from copying at wal-mart. They won't copy watermarked images because they know it's illegal.

con: detracts from the image and if just done by an action can sometimes cover up important parts of a photo.

I watermark my images using a Photoshop action that adds a semi-transparent text layer to the image. I keep a clean high-res version & then run the action so it produces a watermarked low res version of about 500 pixels across that I can use on the web.

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Marcand -

I looked at some of your gallery - I love how it's organized, by the way - and liked how you watermarked the center of the photo for web viewing. Makes them almost useless for unscrupulous potential 'users'. Good idea.

And now I want to go to Fiji.
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

I use IrFanview to create a simple watermark and then photoshark to do a batch overlay on all my pics I post online.

The only downside is that on certain public photo sites I take a lot of flack for having a copyright tag running through the middle of my pictures.

At the end of the day, someone can copy an online pic if they want to and can even remove a watermark if they know what they are doing. But I look at it like putting a lock on your bike. Sure someone can cut it; but its mere presence deters a lot of would-be thieves.

I am surprised how many people post their photos online w/ no copyright tag across them. To me, that is just inviting others to steal your work. In fact, I know that some low-budget magazines will often have people scour photo sharing sites and download untagged photos without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by txuj
    Hi, there

This is one of the easy program that I use as Watermarking my D-photos.

http://www.easyimagetools.com/products/watermark/

Good luck,

C.L
    MSP-MN

Hi found this in the search thread and downloaded it seems ok need a bit of time to suss it out but looks hopefull
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    Olympus E30 HLD 4, E520, E300 & HLD 3
    Olympus OM10 Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8 OM 50mm 1.8 & 70-200mm
    ZD 14-45mm 14-42mm 14-54mm 40-150mm 70-300mm 50-200mm 2.8 / 3.5
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

www.cannoncannonphotography.webs.com

One of the reasons I made the switch to Gallery2 album software for my web phtos is that it allows for watermarking in a slightly different way, it overlays the watermark as a second image so if anyone tries to grab it, they get the watermark file rather than the image file. Because I only post small sizes, it's not much of an issue, and I usually just use a fully transparent .gif as the watermark (with tag data included) but for some shots that have high recognition value I have a semi transparent text/graphic overlay as well (Gallery also lets you decide which image sizes get which/any watermarking, and where on the photo to place it).

Thread Information