WAR on photographers

Interesting that the latest Popular Photography includes an article on war on photographers.

What it amounts to, is that the American police and security guards are using 9/11 and the fear of terrorism to intimidate and threaten photographers to prevent any kind of photography of buildings, bridges, transportation, museums etc., or even public squares etc. Apparently according to the article, this is coming straight from President Bush. They are using all kinds of excuses which are blatantly false. It is NOT against any american law to shoot photos of government buildings, bridges, transportation or any other kind of non-military non-secret establishment. Buildings cannot be copyrighted or trademarked and security guards or police have no authority to deal with such issues in any event.

Bottom line is that it is in the interest of every photographer to know the law and know their rights. Their camera equipment or photos for example cannot be seized by anyone including the police without a court order. Photographers have also usually won law suits related to their rights in american courts. Security guards can also be charged with assault for even touching a photographer who is in a public place exercising his or her rights in taking photos.

Ronnoco

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: WAR on photographers

mind you, this applies to people in PUBLIC places. people shouldn't take this as an excuse to walk onto someone's property and start shooting away at the nice scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Interesting that the latest Popular Photography includes an article on war on photographers.

What it amounts to, is that the American police and security guards are using 9/11 and the fear of terrorism to intimidate and threaten photographers to prevent any kind of photography of buildings, bridges, transportation, museums etc., or even public squares etc. Apparently according to the article, this is coming straight from President Bush.
    This doesn't just relate to photography. The American government is using 9/11 as a justification for all sorts of thing to "protect" us.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

hey brent, is that you in your avatar? Can we see that bigger?

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

hey adina, yep, sure is. Credit goes to paul north from fredmiranda.com for nabbing this one of me at the NCAA Lacrosse championships in philly.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Unfortunately, Ronnoco, they are getting away with it. Even if you know the law and your rights, "national security" and big guys with guns and badges trump that. Trust me when I say that telling a cop that you know your rights isn't a good idea. If they consider you a terrorist or doing something terrorist related, it could become a very bad idea.

I've known too many cops who would be quick on the draw (either with their Tazer or their firearm). Since most states don't allow people to openly carry a firearm (Wisconsin does...but I definitely wouldn't recommend this!!!) or concealed carry, you're left either obeying or fighting it out in court later.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

that a nice shot of you.

Also, Sean, you can openly carry firearms in WI? I thought you couldn't. Other than like hunting, I mean. Are you talking about handguns? I know the NRA was just here, and it was quite a joke where I was out for brunch that one of the few states that don't allow you to carry concealled weapons was where they chose to meet.

Do I have bad info?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Laws against firearms only go to help criminals. I assure you the right to bear arms is a right I exercise occationally, even in Canada when I go there

As for somebody trying to take my gear from me.... over my dead body will a person STEAL my gear in the name of national security

Though my lawyer would love to get that case :lol:
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    mind you, this applies to people in PUBLIC places. people shouldn't take this as an excuse to walk onto someone's property and start shooting away at the nice scenery.
    Actually in the US, it is a little more complicated than that since a Supreme Court ruling defined a public place as "a place to which the general public has access". Under this definition arenas and other "private property" that the public has access to, might be construed as PUBLIC places.

Ronnoco

[QUOTE=paulnj]Laws against firearms only go to help criminals. I assure you the right to bear arms is a right I exercise occationally, even in Canada when I go there ..[QUOTE]

Definitely NOT to be recommended. We in Canada take our anti-fireams laws very seriously. You can really get into very serious trouble for carrying a concealed weapon in Canada. If convicted of a weapons offence you would also not be allowed back into Canada either after you had served your time.

There is no need to, in any event. In Montréal and Québec City I find it totally safe at any hour of the day or night and there is seldom any sign of a police presence. Downtown Toronto is also generally safe but there are a lot of walking police present on a summer Saturday night when there are a lot of people about. Most of the problem there tends to be black gangs against each other.

Ronnoco

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Ah, but Ronnoco, I got to ontario to fish and search out wildlife.I assure you where I go isn't a friendly city environment. I pack a 40cal glock and a 380 ACP usually. I am not aloud in Canada anyway, because I was charged with stealing in 1990, but once court came the truth came out..... I never stole anything. I can get into canada without a hassle if I pay a fee to have them overlook my past charge, but your country will never get a dime from me

Last time I was in Canada was 4 years ago and I never plan to go back... to ontario atleast.

Gangs, now that's what I am talking about :lol:, but we shouldn't generalize them as all black because many a Blood and Crip are white or latino(I know)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Unfortunately, Ronnoco, they are getting away with it. Even if you know the law and your rights, "national security" and big guys with guns and badges trump that. Trust me when I say that telling a cop that you know your rights isn't a good idea. If they consider you a terrorist or doing something terrorist related, it could become a very bad idea.

I've known too many cops who would be quick on the draw (either with their Tazer or their firearm). Since most states don't allow people to openly carry a firearm (Wisconsin does...but I definitely wouldn't recommend this!!!) or concealed carry, you're left either obeying or fighting it out in court later.
    They are counting on you being affraid to challenge them. That's why they do it, and that's why it works. They harass enough people, the word gets out, and people just stop doing it or they back down at the first sight of a cop. It's pure intimidation.

There's no reason for a cop to be quick on the draw with a peaceful photographer, regardless of what is being photographed.

I think the cops should stand up to their superiors who are telling them to do this. This kind of thing is why cops have a bad reputation.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Ah, but Ronnoco, I got to ontario to fish and search out wildlife.I assure you where I go isn't a friendly city environment. I pack a 40cal glock and a 380 ACP usually. I am not aloud in Canada anyway, because I was charged with stealing in 1990, but once court came the truth came out..... I never stole anything. I can get into canada without a hassle if I pay a fee to have them overlook my past charge, but your country will never get a dime from me )

Well, I have no idea where you go, but I have travelled to give French presentations in various parts of Ontario, taken risks with several thousand dollars worth of equipment, fished, photographed and skied in very rural and underpopulated areas alone and sometimes in -20 degrees Celcius, as well as wandered around at night in various areas of Toronto carrying expensive equipment and have never even been accosted, let alone felt any need for a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Gangs, now that's what I am talking about :lol:, but we shouldn't generalize them as all black because many a Blood and Crip are white or latino(I know)
    Not trying to generalize, but the ones being arrested and charged with gang violence in Canada are not white, nor latino (US). I am merely making an observation based on video and photos from the Canadian media.

Ronnoco

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    that a nice shot of you.

Also, Sean, you can openly carry firearms in WI? I thought you couldn't. Other than like hunting, I mean. Are you talking about handguns? I know the NRA was just here, and it was quite a joke where I was out for brunch that one of the few states that don't allow you to carry concealled weapons was where they chose to meet.

Do I have bad info?
    Technically, its not illegal to openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin. There is no law against it, and a guy actually did it in Fond du Lac close to 20 years ago just to prove the point. This won't fly in more liberal or densly populated areas of the state, though, and you will probably be cited for causing a public disturbance.

Gun laws in Wisconsin are very interesting. You can't carry concealed in public, but you can possibly carry openly, and you can carry concealed on your private property (home, land, and/or private business).
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thread Information