Is video copyright similar to photo copyright?

Is a video copyright similar to a photo copyright? Once produced, copyrighted?

Re: Is video copyright similar to photo copyright?

It is similar in the sense of being automatic. It is different in that for a big production there are multiple copyrights involved: for the script, director's notes, music, camera work, stills, effects, etc. Since larger productions are usually done by large companies, the issue is usually handled through contracts with each member of the production crew.

I have produced, directed, done camera work and editing on some productions that went out to television. As a result, I own the copyright on those works. If I had brought together a crew I would have had to deal with multiple copyrights through individual contracts. Hiring them specifically to produce the program would also work but written contracts make things less "fuzzy" legally.

Hope I answered your question?

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    It is similar in the sense of being automatic. It is different in that for a big production there are multiple copyrights involved: for the script, director's notes, music, camera work, stills, effects, etc. Since larger productions are usually done by large companies, the issue is usually handled through contracts with each member of the production crew.

I have produced, directed, done camera work and editing on some productions that went out to television. As a result, I own the copyright on those works. If I had brought together a crew I would have had to deal with multiple copyrights through individual contracts. Hiring them specifically to produce the program would also work but written contracts make things less "fuzzy" legally.

Hope I answered your question?

Ronnoco

I think you did, quite well.

My project for this year is a tree care and pruning video. I'll record it, edit it and distribute it myself. It will be all my own tape, and my own digital photos.

I have no other choice really, the opportunities show up as I"m working - days apart. So I just drag the camcorder and camera around to work each day, as well as in the woods when I'm hiking.

Fortunately, it will be blessed with simplicity.

Marketing may be the most complicated part.

This week, a couple of customers have seen me record a couple facets of my work, and after I explained what the narrative will be, they said that their husbands would buy copies - 100% certain.

It's going to be a blast to tackle this. A bit of work, but the learning and experience should fun.
    Last edited by mdvaden; 10-12-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdvaden
    I think you did, quite well.

My project for this year is a tree care and pruning video. I'll record it, edit it and distribute it myself. It will be all my own tape, and my own digital photos.

I have no other choice really, the opportunities show up as I"m working - days apart. So I just drag the camcorder and camera around to work each day, as well as in the woods when I'm hiking.

Fortunately, it will be blessed with simplicity.

Marketing may be the most complicated part.

This week, a couple of customers have seen me facets of my work, and after I explained what the narrative will be, they said that their husbands would buy copies - 100% certain.

It's going to be a blast to tackle this. A bit of work, but the learning and experience should fun.
    If I might make a few suggestions, if video production is new to you, check out a few books or take a night or part-time college course on Introduction to Television Production.
    Look at computer software for titling and mixing text with stills or video. Computer animation can also add interest to a video production.

As for marketing, consider educational television and the companies that produce learning materials for libraries, high schools, colleges, and adult education.

Good luck!
    Ronnoco

Thread Information