Are Some People really that stupid

I've recently started take pics at mountain bike races, most of the stuff I've done in the past has been motorsports and I get paid up front, anyways I've been getting alot of request for files and these guys seem shocked by the price of $50.00 each. I really don't want to sell files but they are constantly asking, does anyone else get this response or am I way out of line on my price?
    Thanks

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Are Some People really that stupid

So many people give it away (and $50 for an image file is a steal!) that actually charging for work is difficult in many areas.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Yes, I think people really are that stupid. That's why you see warning labels saying not to use the toaster in the bath tub.

What are they getting for that $50? A low res file, high res, limited usage rights, exlusive rights? Depending on what size file, and the usage rights, $50 could be a steal, or it could be a pretty high price.

I think in this day and age of digital images everywhere, and with so many people having digital cameras, people just expect to be able to get images for nothing. Everyone knows it costs money to develope film, and make prints to give to someone, so they expect to pay for that, but emailing them a file doesn't cost anything, so it's OK to ask... At least that's the way I see it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I sell jpegs at the MTB races I goto for $4 for a 600px image that people are allowed to use for emailing to friends, blog posts, stuff like that but no advertising. I get a lot of sales of those as well.

For larger sized images, it depends on the size, what they want to do with it, whatever.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thanks for confirming that, I think I'm going to just say no from now on. $50 was for a large jpeg file 1008x672.

That doesn't sound like that large a file to me. Doesn't it take a minimum of 1200 X 1600 to print a respectable 8 X 10? Basically, it looks like a person would be paying $50 for a file barely large enough for a 5 X 7. Unless I'm missing something or not reading this right.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    That doesn't sound like that large a file to me. Doesn't it take a minimum of 1200 X 1600 to print a respectable 8 X 10? Basically, it looks like a person would be paying $50 for a file barely large enough for a 5 X 7. Unless I'm missing something or not reading this right.
    Why would you ever sell a file for less than the price of 2 photos? I sell 8x10's for around $20 almost no-one complains most think its cheap, have you seen what those hacks in the mall charge people for a sheet of crummy uninspired shots. Why would you want to sell someone a file to print as many as they want for less than 2 pics? besides do you want people printing your images any larger than 5x7, I certainly don't. SmartWombat hit it on the head "So many people give it away ... that actually charging for work is difficult in many areas"

Nobody Wins

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRookie
    Thanks for confirming that, I think I'm going to just say no from now on. $50 was for a large jpeg file 1008x672.
    Nobody is going to come out ahead with that deal. You're giving up a file which the customer can do whatever they please with. But the customer is paying a very high price for a file that's too small to really use for anything. I just say no. I should figure out a price, though. It would probably be in the neighborhood of $200-250 for a full-res file. And I'd only do it if they were just a regular rider. If it was a pro or a really good shot, no chance I'd sell the file.

What I will do, is if someone buys a print from me I'lll be happy to give them a 620 pixel or 800 pixel file that's all set up with my logo on it. That's so they can post it on the Web, e-mail it, or generally share it. But they won't be able to make a decent print with it. Plus, it has my name on it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Yes, I think people really are that stupid. That's why you see warning labels saying not to use the toaster in the bath tub.

I like to make toast in the bathtub.

Here's the thing. As long as there are people who do give stuff away at that price, people will ask for it. The average joe doesn't know the difference between your photo and Uncle Bob's, unless the name is recognizable, and there is someone to back it up.

That's why word of mouth is so great. Or not great.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information